GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

08' R32 or 12' Golf R

jpalmerm

I am expecting my gray 4 door Golf R here in a bit over a month and a local Porsche dealer just had a gray 08' R32 traded in with 16k miles and spotless car fax. I ordered my R a few months back but if I could save 18-20k by getting the R32. Getting a older R32 I would miss the newer body style, 6spd manual, 4 doors, better gas mileage with Turbo motor, and of course modability.

I guess I am having second thoughts on the R because I drove a friends 2003 Porsche 996tt X50 over Thanksgiving and was thouroughly blow away by the performance and now I am on the hunt for one of them. Getting the R32 would allow me to spend a bit extra on the 996tt and or allow me to pick one up sooner.

Am I crazy to turndown the R and get a R32 as a daily?? Advice??

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
R(20) over R32.. unless, as you posted, you could get a 996TT on the side.. then yes, R32, lol...

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
if you're planning on picking up a porsche.... you should daily even a cheaper vw than the 08' r32 so that as soon as you can get the porsche you have $ to mod it lol.

but seriously r32 and then pick up a porsche!

jpalmerm

I will get a 996tt eventually but like I said I could get a R32 now and pass on the R20 and get a 996tt sooner.

If I get the R20 I would probably just have to wait a year or so to get the Porsche.

But I guess I was asking if for a daily driver (45-50mile per day highway) am I going to enjoy the R20 that much more than the R32 ro justify the 18-20k price difference?

This would probably be an easier decision if I had driven then Golf R but like all of you I would need to wait until mine gets here....:iono:

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
I will get a 996tt eventually but like I said I could get a R32 now and pass on the R20 and get a 996tt sooner.

If I get the R20 I would probably just have to wait a year or so to get the Porsche.

But I guess I was asking if for a daily driver (45-50mile per day highway) am I going to enjoy the R20 that much more than the R32 ro justify the 18-20k price difference?

This would probably be an easier decision if I had driven then Golf R but like all of you I would need to wait until mine gets here....:iono:

r32.. i dont see a big enough reason to spend 18k more on a r20... the money you save by getting the r32 will be more, mpg might not be better, but you're looking at spending 18-20k more for a r20, so i guarantee you'll never spend 18k in gas for the lifetime you own the r32 for. save the extra $ and pick that 996tt up sooner than later! they are only getting older and higher mileage on them the longer you wait.

jpalmerm

yeah thats kind of what I was thinking. I am going to go look it over tonight after work but I did like the R32 when I drove one a couple years ago. If it was even 8k I'd probably still get the R but 18-20k makes it kind of tough to justify...

The pull of that 996tt X50 stock was crazy...

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
08 R32 plus the 996tt. Modded 996tt's are absolutely wicked!!!!! 500hp is easy and 600hp is not at all hard.

Keep in mind the 996tt was a $100k plus when new and the maintenance and repairs will still match that. Believe me I know. My '03 E55 eats hundred dollar bills by the dozen my it needs to go to the shop.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
If you're saving 18-20k by getting the R32 then they must be selling it for what, 16-17k? That price for an 08 with only 16k miles is a steal. Buy it then sell it for profit.

rizzogti

Go Kart Champion
If you're saving 18-20k by getting the R32 then they must be selling it for what, 16-17k? That price for an 08 with only 16k miles is a steal. Buy it then sell it for profit.

true story. an r32 with that mileage by me would cost 25k easy.

EDIT: just checked actually and most of them with 20k miles on them are $26k+

jpalmerm

They are asking $21,995 but they have had it for 45days and keep lowering the price. Carfax shows one local owner no issues. Its gray with black 5 spoke vw badged wheels. I am sure I can pick it up for 17-19k. My golf R is going tobe 40k with taxes OTD.

Whats crazy is those 996tt are pretty bullet proof. They just don't have many issues. My buddy hasn't had a problem with his and he has 70k on it. He did rotors and pads himself for $600. The biggest issue that "could" happen is the second gear pop-out. But thta that can be fixed as soon as notice for a few hundred $$...