GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MAP Sensor

CScalzo7

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a golf 2.5 and am currently running the APR Carbonio CAI. After about half a year with the intake my check engine light came on indicating code P0106. I've done some research and it has to do with the air flow into the throttle body however after cleaning and inspecting my intake the engine light still appears. Could it be a problem with the MAP sensor? If so how could I go about fixing it myself? Thanks.

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion
I have a golf 2.5 and am currently running the APR Carbonio CAI. After about half a year with the intake my check engine light came on indicating code P0106. I've done some research and it has to do with the air flow into the throttle body however after cleaning and inspecting my intake the engine light still appears. Could it be a problem with the MAP sensor? If so how could I go about fixing it myself? Thanks.

First, after cleaning it you need a tool to clear the code and see if it comes back.

As for diagnosing, turn the engine on, clear the code, turn the car off, turn the accessory power on and scan the car, if the code pops up it's the sensor.

Tiggy1

Go Kart Champion
Find a shop or local member that has VCDS and clear it..

CScalzo7

Passed Driver's Ed
I've cleared the code multiple times and after a day or two it eventually reappears. I guess it is the MAP sensor. Any ideas on how to fix or clean it without going to the dealer? Thanks.

lewylou78

Ready to race!
I've cleared the code multiple times and after a day or two it eventually reappears. I guess it is the MAP sensor. Any ideas on how to fix or clean it without going to the dealer? Thanks.

Yes, remove the MAP sensor and carefully clean it (the tip of the sensor looks like a tiny q-tip). The sensor is on the left side of the throttle body assembly with only one screw holding it in place. There is also one connector at the bottom to unplug.

I recently had the same code (P0106) pop up, but before I did anything, I did some research on it. Turns out that this is a common problem with the 2.5L engine. I had some kind of oil on my sensor, not sure if it was engine oil or oil from the filter on my Neuspeed intake, but it looked brownish in color to me (I'm pretty sure it was engine oil from the intake manifold). Nevertheless, I carefully cleaned the tip of the sensor and I have yet to see the code come back (been 3 weeks now). I also noticed that the trottle response improved, especially when starting out in 1st gear.

People often make the mistake of replacing the MAP sensor only to have the problem come back shortly thereafter, and the problem doesn't seem to be related to the type of intake you are running. The proper way to fix the problem is to completely clean the intake manifold (one MK5 guy actually did this with his Rabbit 2.5). I didn't really want to do that yet so I will make it a habbit of cleaning the MAP sensor at every oil change, it takes like 5-10 min to do. I don't know how long the quick cleaning will prevent the code from returning, but so far so good.

CScalzo7

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks a lot for the responses! I'll probably do that as soon as possible:)

WakeInTheCity

Ready to race!
i have the same problem, but i do not have an aftermarket intake. my cel has been on for a while, and this past couple weeks my car has been hesitating and even shut off earlier today when started from a cold start.