GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2012 Golf R problem

Antdez

Hey guys I don't post very often but about 3 months back I traded my GTI for an R with 25k miles and it has been great until today. When I bought it it came what I believe is Stage 2 had an APR sticker on the fuel pump and 42dd air intake plus I believe a new downpipe and GIAC tuner fully loaded with all the tunes. I bought a 35000 mile extended warranty and it came with a 6month 6,000 mile dealer warranty.

So fast forward today was driving on the highway not even pushing it going like 60 when all of a sudden car starts bucking and then goes limp like barely able to get to 60mph and check engine light comes on. So I am like a mile from a VW dealer and I limp it over to them. They check it out and apparently the Fuell Pump is broken the inside is all ground down and the Cam is messed up. VW says they can't fix it under warranty because of aftermarket but the dealership where I bought it is going to take care of it apparently. 3500$ repair VW said. Why did this happen and what should I do after the dealer gets done with it since they will probly replace the fuel pump with an OEM model.

TL/DR Owned car for 3 months and all kinds of havoc happening please help.

rupertpupkin

Ready to race!
Cam follower failed and fuel pump killed itself on the intake camshaft. Have to keep up with the cam follower replacement. They typically will not warranty with aftermarket HPFP.

Since you bought it from a dealer with that pump already installed you got lucky.

Hey guys I don't post very often but about 3 months back I traded my GTI for an R with 25k miles and it has been great until today. When I bought it it came what I believe is Stage 2 had an APR sticker on the fuel pump and 42dd air intake plus I believe a new downpipe and GIAC tuner fully loaded with all the tunes. I bought a 35000 mile extended warranty and it came with a 6month 6,000 mile dealer warranty.

So fast forward today was driving on the highway not even pushing it going like 60 when all of a sudden car starts bucking and then goes limp like barely able to get to 60mph and check engine light comes on. So I am like a mile from a VW dealer and I limp it over to them. They check it out and apparently the Fuell Pump is broken the inside is all ground down and the Cam is messed up. VW says they can't fix it under warranty because of aftermarket but the dealership where I bought it is going to take care of it apparently. 3500$ repair VW said. Why did this happen and what should I do after the dealer gets done with it since they will probly replace the fuel pump with an OEM model.

TL/DR Owned car for 3 months and all kinds of havoc happening please help.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Moving forward you should change the cam follower every 10-15k miles to be on the safe side. I'd also suggest oil changes at a 5k interval rather than 10k miles.

pdxa4

Longtime VW/Audi owner
Thanks for the wisdom guys I didn't even know about that.

Yep extra caution is needed for sure with the FSI engine. And the cam follower wear happens faster on the aftermarket high pressure fuel pumps. The APR pump has a very strong spring and is known for causing higher wear.

The advice above is correct with quality well chooses oil being changed every 5k miles, and one needs to change the follower every 10k.

I'm a low mileage guy, and I change it every 5k.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
What all of these fellows are saying are corret. We service many of our customers who have stage 2+ GTi's and Golf R's. Oil every 5k miles, and cam follower every other oil change (10k miles)

Such an unfortunate thing happened to you. If there is anything you need please let me know. We have pumps on the shelf if you are planning to put an APR pump back in it.

Thanks,

Greg

Antdez

Thanks for the replies I actually gave you guys a call at excelerate to see about that pump. (I left a message). I was hoping someone could let me know hat I should do in the meantime. I got the car back and they put an OEM fuel pump on it so I have just been keeping it in Stock Mode on the GIAC tuner. It is running like molasses compared to how it was with the APR pump. Should I just keep it on stock mode or would it be fine to put it back into Pump Gas mode?

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the replies I actually gave you guys a call at excelerate to see about that pump. (I left a message). I was hoping someone could let me know hat I should do in the meantime. I got the car back and they put an OEM fuel pump on it so I have just been keeping it in Stock Mode on the GIAC tuner. It is running like molasses compared to how it was with the APR pump. Should I just keep it on stock mode or would it be fine to put it back into Pump Gas mode?

Even in stock mode, I would baby it or not drive it even until an upgraded pump is installed. The "stock" map probably isn't really stock at all. It's a tune designed to work with your modification that produces stock-like power/boost. If it's a giac tune then you should call them and try to talk to someone knowledgeable on the subject and they'll hopefully have a better handle on the risks.

light-spigot!

camshaft needs replaced with hardened camshaft (#06F.109.101B) for high pressure fuel pump bearing on the camlobe

Latest intake camshaft is part 06F109101K

Last edited: