GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hi Res Music

ty50

If I have apple lossless files on my iPhone SE., play them through my MDI connection in the center console, what quality tunes am I actually getting out of my RCD-10?
It's a stock RCD-10 in my 2012 GTI. Not sure if any updates have been done.

Also, forgive me if this has been discussed.

Thanx

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
MDI will send a digital signal to the the OEM headunit, which will do the digital to analog conversion. Keep in mind that even with high end audio equipment (speakers, DSP, sound deadening, tune, etc.) you can't hear the difference between lossless and 320kbps mp3 (test it yourself here: http://www.mp3ornot.com/ ). I play Apple lossless through MDI because I loaded my ipod with lossless files for my last setup, everything works just fine, but with the OEM head unit there is no way you will hear the difference

ty50

thanx but one ,ore ?

MDI will send a digital signal to the the OEM headunit, which will do the digital to analog conversion. Keep in mind that even with high end audio equipment (speakers, DSP, sound deadening, tune, etc.) you can't hear the difference between lossless and 320kbps mp3 (test it yourself here: http://www.mp3ornot.com/ ). I play Apple lossless through MDI because I loaded my ipod with lossless files for my last setup, everything works just fine, but with the OEM head unit there is no way you will hear the difference

I appreciate response, makes sense, what is the deal with these hi res receivers for cars? theres only a couple I know of, 1 made by Sony,
claims to play Flac, Alac, and other lossless.
they're quite expensive but just wondering if they have a future.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I appreciate response, makes sense, what is the deal with these hi res receivers for cars? theres only a couple I know of, 1 made by Sony,
claims to play Flac, Alac, and other lossless.
they're quite expensive but just wondering if they have a future.

I'm a long time member over at diymobileaudio, and the Sony gets some love, but honestly, I don't see it having much of a future. Firstly, hi-fi audio is dying. People don't listen to music actively like they used to, people listen passively, while they do something else. People are satisfied with crappy Apple earbuds and have no interest in things like the staging and imaging of an album. In a car it's even worse. It is becoming increasingly difficult to add a simple aftermarket head unit to new cars, and most people aren't interested enough to drop the cash on a DSP and the time to tune it. I think the Sony is a neat piece, but the screen is awful, it's far too expensive, and there are very few systems good enough to hear the difference in hi-res and a well recorded lossless file.

Having built a very impressive system in my Subaru, I'm slowly putting something together for the GTI, and I think I'll end up running a DAP straight to a DSP/amp and just leave the OEM headunit as is. I put a Pioneer double din in and hated it, then I put in a Kenwood and hated it, I'm back to the OEM head unit and I hate it, but I'd rather hate a free head unit than to hate one I spent $800 on.

Head over to diymobileaudio and read up. There is a lot that can be done to improve the sound in our cars, depending on how much time and money you're willing to spend.

ty50

Appreciate response

I'm a long time member over at diymobileaudio, and the Sony gets some love, but honestly, I don't see it having much of a future. Firstly, hi-fi audio is dying. People don't listen to music actively like they used to, people listen passively, while they do something else. People are satisfied with crappy Apple earbuds and have no interest in things like the staging and imaging of an album. In a car it's even worse. It is becoming increasingly difficult to add a simple aftermarket head unit to new cars, and most people aren't interested enough to drop the cash on a DSP and the time to tune it. I think the Sony is a neat piece, but the screen is awful, it's far too expensive, and there are very few systems good enough to hear the difference in hi-res and a well recorded lossless file.

Having built a very impressive system in my Subaru, I'm slowly putting something together for the GTI, and I think I'll end up running a DAP straight to a DSP/amp and just leave the OEM headunit as is. I put a Pioneer double din in and hated it, then I put in a Kenwood and hated it, I'm back to the OEM head unit and I hate it, but I'd rather hate a free head unit than to hate one I spent $800 on.

Head over to diymobileaudio and read up. There is a lot that can be done to improve the sound in our cars, depending on how much time and money you're willing to spend.
I read a lot over at DIYMA however I get a little frusrated because most of these guys smarts are out of my league, i find myself reading posts 3-4 times until i “get it”. Antway there is tons of good info you’re right, i have yet to read up on the hi res etc. thanx tho my friend.