GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

E85 fuel w/91,93,100oct talk

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
hey guys tried searching for e85 mixtures with different fuels. here in California, you will mainly find 91 at each pump. I believe the nearest e85 pump around me is about 100 miles so obviously I would have to fill up on 5 gallon tanks. I came across a video on YouTube on a before and after dyno on a fuel additive. perhaps an easy way to maximize 91?

http://www.e85vehicles.com/e85-stations/e85-california.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDUogAQzLAc

if you are running 91 plus e85 please chime in :thumbsup:

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
91 ~~> 93 with 30% ethanol is A-OK. I have personally done it and logged.

93~~>100 NO NO NO.

Running 2-3 gallons in a full tank of gas:

If you're on a 91 tune w/ 91 fuel: perfectly fine, will clear up timing correction.
93 tune w/ 91 fuel: Perfectly fine. May still have some correction.
93 tune w/ 93 fuel: Perfectly fine. Will clear up correction.

Last edited:

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
Lots of Cali guys have been running GIAC stage 2+ (stock turbo) file that was made for a 40/60 e85/91oct mix they love it. BUT remember you are K04 which requires more fuel and when you start mixing in E85 you need even more of it.

I'm on a 50/50 mix and tuned for it. My stock fuel system would not let me go past 20psi though I did make more HP then I was at 26psi.

I now have a LPFP as well as upgraded injectors and even then fueling is still a limiting factor, I am back up at 26psi though.

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
Lots of Cali guys have been running GIAC stage 2+ (stock turbo) file that was made for a 40/60 e85/91oct mix they love it. BUT remember you are K04 which requires more fuel and when you start mixing in E85 you need even more of it.

I'm on a 50/50 mix and tuned for it. My stock fuel system would not let me go past 20psi though I did make more HP then I was at 26psi.

I now have a LPFP as well as upgraded injectors and even then fueling is still a limiting factor, I am back up at 26psi though.

He has the best advice hands down. The key here is to LOG LOG LOG.

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
so for example, for me since ive never put a drop of e85 in my tank, I could start with 3 gals of e85 and top off with 91? ive been thinking of changing tunes for a more specific tune to my car especially with meth. but I seem to be content with the numbers the car has put down already. ill be going to my shop today and get a little more in depth about fueling upgrades

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
If an E85 station is 100 miles from you it doesn't make sense to even consider this an option. W/M would be a better alternative. Right now safely if you ran a 30% mix that puts you around a "94" ish level. That's a lot of driving just to get that. Plus if you fill your tank you'll burn through more than a 1/4 driving home.

My E85 station is in walking distance. So I'm running 50/50 100% of the time. My gas mileage sucks now. Luckily E85 is cheaper. I'm still charting my mileage but I don't think it's enough to offset how much fuel I am going through. I'm saving $.50 a gallon.

RGTI13

Go Kart Champion
If an E85 station is 100 miles from you it doesn't make sense to even consider this an option. W/M would be a better alternative. Right now safely if you ran a 30% mix that puts you around a "94" ish level. That's a lot of driving just to get that. Plus if you fill your tank you'll burn through more than a 1/4 driving home.

My E85 station is in walking distance. So I'm running 50/50 100% of the time. My gas mileage sucks now. Luckily E85 is cheaper. I'm still charting my mileage but I don't think it's enough to offset how much fuel I am going through. I'm saving $.50 a gallon.

Totally agree here... And I'm a huge advocate of W/M. Best way to raise that octane and cool your intake charge.

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
I only drive the car on the weekends and its in town only, so making a trip to grab about 20 gallons of e85 shouldn't be so bad considering I put gas every 2 weeks. I am going to be putting another nozzle pre TB due to the heat we get in CA or at least where im from.