GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help My Car Drop Weight

Injen1us

Drag Race Newbie
Which CF hood did you opt for? painted? What was the weight savings?

ECS, Right at 20lbs of savings with that one. It allows you to re use the OEM latch. Still I drilled hood pins in for mine. Its alot of surface area and weighs like 11lbs or so.

Not painted yet. Will likely be getting the whole car resprayed when i get out of the desert and pull the vinyl wrap off

Best bet for weight reduction would be get a sawzaw and go mk6 convertible! Haha

Cause rigidity is over rated :)

HYDE161

Go Kart Champion

riceburner

Autocross Champion
ever make any progress on this?

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I got into a very small fender bender about a year ago. I inched forward in 1st gear and ran into a bike rack.... this bent a small section of my hood straight down where the hood meets the front grill. So I have been looking at new hoods and while I'm at it I mind as well look at hoods that save weight. But I really think I'm just going to get that small dent fixed instead (if its under $700). No paint came off so I might be lucky?

I like to save weight where ever possible but I just can't justify $700 for 20lbs of weight savings. And add another 3/400 for paint if you want to paint it.

Seems like after lightweight rims, lightweight battery, and removing the spare/jack from the rear to becomes difficult to shed the weight (keeping the rear seats in). Still, with just those 3 things taken care of its around 100lbs of weight saved. And the lightweight rims and battery cost me well under $700.

Seems to get rather expensive to shed weight after all of the things mentioned above.

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
The easiest way to turn your GTI into a lightweight track car is to sell it and buy a Miata. Weight reduction on these cars is mostly pointless.

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
The easiest way to turn your GTI into a lightweight track car is to sell it and buy a Miata. Weight reduction on these cars is mostly pointless.

Without my backseat and other stuff I can tell a big difference. Also, I can tell a difference when I have a full tank of gas or almost empty lol.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I got into a very small fender bender about a year ago. I inched forward in 1st gear and ran into a bike rack.... this bent a small section of my hood straight down where the hood meets the front grill. So I have been looking at new hoods and while I'm at it I mind as well look at hoods that save weight. But I really think I'm just going to get that small dent fixed instead (if its under $700). No paint came off so I might be lucky?

I like to save weight where ever possible but I just can't justify $700 for 20lbs of weight savings. And add another 3/400 for paint if you want to paint it.

Seems like after lightweight rims, lightweight battery, and removing the spare/jack from the rear to becomes difficult to shed the weight (keeping the rear seats in). Still, with just those 3 things taken care of its around 100lbs of weight saved. And the lightweight rims and battery cost me well under $700.

Seems to get rather expensive to shed weight after all of the things mentioned above.

Brakes, suspension, control arms, and exhaust all have a lot of weight and are easy to cut on. I think I took 6 pounds off per side by getting a bbk. 2 pounds on each control arm, and I forgot to weigh my exhaust like a n00b.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
and i guess to chime back in we should all know by now that a few pounds here and there in suspension/wheel type mods make a nice difference in handling, but not much for accerleration. In fact, even 20 lbs here and there collectively does not really make a difference. A few hundred pounds will but boy would that take a ton of money, may as well just swap engine to a tiny different chassis. I will say though, and i think most would agree, you can notice a difference in handling and acceleration when you have passenger/s or a full trunk. funny how that works