GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loose/Rocking Driver's seat.

Jack_Rabbit

I have been having an issue with my driver's seat & it is getting progressively worse so I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Driver's seat has been rocking back/forth slightly on acceleration/braking. In the last few wees a very audible "squeak" is accompanying the rocking which is incredibly annoying.

I just spoke to the service manager at the local VW dealer & he is saying it is likely the motor need to be replace. I figured my issue would be caused loose hardware somewhere within the seat assembly as the motor itself is working flawlessly. I'd appreciate any suggestions as I'd prefer to tackle with the correct tools in the garage as opposed to spending $$$ at the dealership. I already checked - it is out of warranty.

Any help is appreciated - thank you!

BTW - driving a 2014 Driver's Edition. Traded in my 2004 C5 Vette for this last year & absolutely love it. This forum has been most helpful in researching info on my car.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
are you feeling the whole seat rock back and forth or just the back portion? if the whole seat, my bet is one of your seat bolts (for some reason) may be loose. I'd say check those for sure either way.

If all else fails, I do have some OEM plaid seats for sale I wouldn't mind selling just one, also leathers for sale which i'd rather sell as a front set only... let me know if interested in a private message.

Good luck.

Jack_Rabbit

It is just the back portion, squeaking & has about an inch of back/forth play.

Thanks for the info about the seats but I'd rather go for a more cost effective option. This car only has 30,000mi on it so far, so I'm hoping this will be an easy, painless fix.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
ah gotcha, well i've never heard of a motor going out but can definitely see it happening, like if youre leaned back while trying to push the seat back up; maybe some teeth stripped or something to that effect.

good luck, hope it's not too pricey.

icee

Ready to race!
Do you sit with the seat height lowered all the way down? I had a terrible plastic-y squeak that would present itself while accelerating/decelerating but mostly if I went over bumps or sudden hard turns that would shift the weight of my body in the seat.

Try raising the seat height (not the motorized recline) 1 to 2 pumps up.

The worst squeak offenders that I've seen in my GTI have been:

1. Internal lumbar support parts squeaking.
2. The four M10 triple square bolts that secure the seat worked their way loose.
3. Some part of the seat rail system squeaks if the seat height is at its lowest setting.

Best of luck to you and I hope your recline motor is ok! :thumbsup: