GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK6 GTI vs. 2013 Ford Focus ST

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
Before I settled on the GTI, I was furiously going back and forth on this in my head. As far as engines go, the ST is VERY close a stage 1 GTI. It also uses a K03 turbo, with a torque curve probably a little more blunted compared to a stage 1 GTI (266 lb ft vs. ~290 lb ft) to preserve linearity. From what I've read on Ford press releases, they're aiming straight for the GTI with it.

I know it's too early to really be able to tell since no one has driven one yet, but who else went through this dilemma? I really like the Focus ST, even though the interior is a bit smaller.

JhnR

Banned
uhgh idk about ever buying a Ford other than the new 2012 Mustangs.. 5.0..

Dybz

Banned
Before I settled on the GTI, I was furiously going back and forth on this in my head. As far as engines go, the ST is VERY close a stage 1 GTI. It also uses a K03 turbo, with a torque curve probably a little more blunted compared to a stage 1 GTI (266 lb ft vs. ~290 lb ft) to preserve linearity. From what I've read on Ford press releases, they're aiming straight for the GTI with it.

I know it's too early to really be able to tell since no one has driven one yet, but who else went through this dilemma? I really like the Focus ST, even though the interior is a bit smaller.

the 2013 focus ST uses a k03? where did you see this?

colslaw87

Ready to race!
Honestly, American cars are getting much better in the last couple years. I have never been an American car enthusiast, but I can appreciate their recent work.

The ST hatch looks like a funky little car. I can safely say without a doubt that the GTI will "feel" like a more quality vehicle...from interior quality, fit and finish to material choices. It'll all be decided in the test drive. With all design aside...your honestly behind the wheel 90% of the time, so it'll probably come down to how it drives.

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
I have a feeling it will look and feel comparable on paper but in person it will still be far behind. That's the exact feeling I had about the 2.0t genesis coupe. Looks great on paper but it was bland as hell to drive compared to a stock gti.

Dybz

Banned
i've been in the new focus, it's a nice place to be. i kind of like the slightly smaller feel of the interior, makes it feel more sporty or something vs the openness of the GTI cabin. materials are also quite nice. frankly if ford takes any of the things they've learned from the RS (as they claim to) then the ST will be a great drive. all speculation at this point

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
People have been taking aim at the GTI for soo long but fall so short. There's too much of a history and experience. Nothing, in my eyes, has come close to delivering the quality and refinement and performance trifecta that the GTI has to offer. Its either all performance no refinement, or all refinement no performance.

However, the jury is still out on the ST. I FEEL that Ford might have something here, but if it does over take the GTI, it wont last too much longer with the MK7 around the corner.

Dybz

Banned
People have been taking aim at the GTI for soo long but fall so short. There's too much of a history and experience. Nothing, in my eyes, has come close to delivering the quality and refinement and performance trifecta that the GTI has to offer. Its either all performance no refinement, or all refinement no performance.

However, the jury is still out on the ST. I FEEL that Ford might have something here, but if it does over take the GTI, it wont last too much longer with the MK7 around the corner.

which itself might end up being a failboat...

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
which itself might end up being a failboat...

True. But if the equation keeps continuing, the MK7 will be just as good, if not better. Speculation at best though for now.

Dybz

Banned
True. But if the equation keeps continuing, the MK7 will be just as good, if not better. Speculation at best though for now.

the way i see it

mk1 was great
mk2 was good
mk3 was fail
mk4 was good
mk5 was great
mk6 was good
mk7 is going to be fail
mk8 will be good

that's assuming trend continues. granted we don't have enough data to assume any sort of statistical accuracy.

smrtypants44

Go Kart Champion
The one thing I didn't like about the focus I drive was its huuuuuuge dashboard that cut into my personal space (6'3") and made the cabin feel pretty small.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
the way i see it

mk1 was great
mk2 was good
mk3 was fail
mk4 was good
mk5 was great
mk6 was good
mk7 is going to be fail
mk8 will be good

that's assuming trend continues. granted we don't have enough data to assume any sort of statistical accuracy.

Oh man...the Mk3 was so bad that I even forget it was made. However, I think the MK7 will be great ONLY if the aftermarket is still supported. If VW keeps trying to lock down our ability to mod, it certainly will not sale as much.

It still sounds like it will have great features, but hopefully it can deliver.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
the 2013 focus ST uses a k03? where did you see this?

I first saw it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine#2.0_L_EcoBoost_I-4

I know that isn't necessarily a 100% accurate source, but I have seen it listed elsewhere and I THOUGHT on an official Ford release, but I can't seem to find it. That information looks like it was pulled in from a spec sheet.

The way I see it is that like the MS3 and WRX, it will beat up a stock GTI from a performance standpoint, but won't be quite as good as far as refinement. And like those other competitors, all it will take is an intake and a tune to tip the balance back towards the GTI.

AXO

Go Kart Champion
He should buy the Ford.

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
He should buy the Ford.

Already bought the GTI. My plan is to test drive the ST first chance I get, and use it as justification to go Stage 1 + intake.