GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pop Open Gas Cap

prospal

Ready to race!
Anyone have a problem with the gas cap design? Kind of worries me that it's just a pop open gas cap and there's no way of locking it. It really didn't bug me until someone pointed it out to me. You never know what people may try to fill your tank up with, haha.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
The fuel filler door locks when the passenger doors are locked so its secure.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
The fuel filler door locks when the passenger doors are locked so its secure.
My fuel filler locks when the car is locked. If you just unlock the drivers door the fuel filler unlocks as well, thats just the same if you unlock all doors. That just seems logical if your driving you might want fuel if your not driving (car locked) then its locked.

prospal

Ready to race!
Is this true? Hmm, I'm pretty sure I tried to open it while the car was locked. Oh well, I'll have to go and check this out.

Also - is the alarm on the car supposed to auto-lock after 30 seconds of no activity after the car has been turned off? The dealer said this, and actually my old car had this feature, and sometimes I find myself forgetting to lock the car up out of habit.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't say the alarm activates unless you lock all doors as if you had left the car. You can remove the key and lock all doors and stay in the car and wait a couple on minutes then move about in the car to see if the passive sensors are working.

If you unlock the car and if the door isn't opened within 30 seconds it will automatically lock again. VW say they did this because people would unlock their car and oh I've forgotten something in the house and go back for it. Someone could come along and open a door and pinch something.

Now this can be a bit awkward if your checking the unlock distance of the remote thats if it takes more than 30 seconds to walk to your car and open the door else it locks again, timing. I'm told of Top Gear that if you find the unlock range of the remote and move a few yards further away. Now hold the remote on the side of your head and press it it will unlock you car it uses you head as an additional aerial/transponder, I haven't tried this yet.

LittleJohny

Go Kart Champion
Is this true? Hmm, I'm pretty sure I tried to open it while the car was locked. Oh well, I'll have to go and check this out.

Also - is the alarm on the car supposed to auto-lock after 30 seconds of no activity after the car has been turned off? The dealer said this, and actually my old car had this feature, and sometimes I find myself forgetting to lock the car up out of habit.

I believe that it is true....when I was cleaning my car the other the car automatically locked itself.

Not true.

If you unlock the car and if the door isn't opened within 30 seconds it will automatically lock again. VW say they did this because people would unlock their car and oh I've forgotten something in the house and go back for it. Someone could come along and open a door and pinch something.

THIS is true.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
when I was cleaning my car the other the car automatically locked itself.
So you were cleaning your car and another car locked?

How can it lock automatically if you've had the door open. Its like unlocking the door a dropping your keys on the seat then you close the door then it automatically locks your stuffed unless you have the spare close by.

Yes if your cleaning the car and its unlocked and your sponge rubs over the flap with a bit of pressure then it will open, I don't rub that hard. ;)

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Missed a word there, the other "day"...lol

I unlock the car to grab some towel in the back, closed it and was wiping the back hatch. Then after some time the car locked itself. I still have the key with me obviously. I ended up putting the key in the car and turned it to accessory mode and kept the car unlocked.

Keithuk

Go Kart Champion
Well 'day' was missing.

jokerific

Ready to race!
Another fun fact - if you lock the car with the gas cap open, you can't actually close it without unlocking the car again.