GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo failed at 48,000kms!!!!! Is APR tune the culprit?

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
Ok so turn the clicking noise was the fuel line touching the body on lower rpms.
Why did the new turbo smoke?
- The technician removed my Spluen catch can/PCV delete and installed the new revision of VW PCV value.
And guess what the car stopped smoking!!!!
So I asked the tech. does this mean that there was nothing wrong with my pervious turbo and he said possibly…maybe? omg!!!!!

I thought the whole point of installing catch can/PCV block off palate was to eliminate this risk.

This has been a confusing case.
You aren't alone there... in the R Owners Facebook group I'm in there's several people who had white smoke when their catch can is on. Hope this mess is now behind you:thumbsup:

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
ive seen as many people say the block off is not good for the engine as people who swear by it

sorry you went through that man

Last edited:

-SnowmanMafia-

Passed Driver's Ed
So I asked the tech. does this mean that there was nothing wrong with my pervious turbo and he said possibly…maybe? omg!!!!!

Were you not having issues holding boost?

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Yes that’s "KIWI" dollars :p

So, I took the car at the mechanic today and showed him the oil smoke which comes out when the can is on an angle (on a hilly slope).
He told me if the turbo oil seals are gone AGAIN it won’t be covered in warranty as it has APR tune on it.
He reckons that if that’s the case, the main cause is the tune as the new turbo should have been on the stock tune for its break in.
Funny they didn't tell me all the break in shit last time I went to pick up the car.
They are going to remove the downpipe to see if the turbo is culprit (he found it weird how it smoked only when the car is on angel.
I love my Golf very much but my pocket hates it. It has created a fear in me about EURO/modified cars now.

Never heard of a turbo needing to be broken in....

Dhruv

SnowManMafia - I never encountered any boost issues - even with my old turbo it bloody pulled hard (25 psi)

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
i know youre in NZ but i had a misdiagnosis like that, less money, about $1000 that i got reimbursed from just making a logical argument and speaking to the manager of the dealership and being consistent and not backing down. Why not give it a go?

They didnt even give you back your perfectly working old k04

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Hi guys, I saw this tread earlier but could just couldn't get it outa my head.

Before blaming the turbo unit there are lots of other things that can cause the failure.

The engine ECU uses the boost pressure sensor (MAP sensor.) and Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor to gather data about current boost conditions. The sensors allow the ECU to compare current boost pressure with boost pressure maps stored in the ECU. The Single Value Boost Limiter (SVBL) which acts like an emergency cut off for boost, all depend on these sensors as they can cause intermittent overboost conditions.

Just like a simple air leak can do major damage at the wrong time

Cheers

Last edited:

Dhruv

Ok so I will run you through my story “IT WAS A NIGHMATE MATE”
I started noticing white/greyish smoke from the exhaust pipes every time the car was parked on a hill (exhaust facing downwards) usually happened to me when I use to stop at traffic lights near my work.
Me being a DYI person I started doing research online for any solutions. I came across this YouTube video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0c4wM28ex0&list=PL-h_ogFL-pgIl2knf5xdUMh5F59VIebC3&index=36
which made me think that PCV valve was the culprit. Instead on buying a new PCV value I decided to get a Suplen catch can with PCV block off plate.
After installing the catch can I still had smoke coming out!!! So I decided to get the car checked and mechanic removed the downpipe to see the turbo. He spotted oil on the exhaust side of the turbo and told me that my turbo is fucked.
Now machinic and the turbo company (where I got my old turbo checked) blamed the APR tune, they said because the tune is peaking the turbo at 25psi it has worn out the oil seals – making the turbine shaft go in and out.
I ordered a new turbo got it installed and after 2 days when I was driving the car in traffic I saw the freaking smoke again!!!!
So, I take the car back to the machinic at his workshop I parked the came on a hill let it run after 30 secs or so white smoke started coming out.
What was the fix?
The mechanic removed the catch can and PCV block off plate and installed new PCV valve and connected it VW way.
So by that what I mean is people usually put a block off screw on boost tap to prevent oil pressure going in intake manifold to prevent carbon build up. So he basically connected PCV and removed the screw.
And guess what it FIXED the problem!!!!
So I spent 5k for something which was working fine, instead of 149$ for new PVC.
Plus it gave me few white hair because of the stress I had for few months.

Even after doing and spending this much money I still don’t have 100% answers for some of my questions.
Me: So does this mean my old turbo was fine?
Mechanic: ummm Maybe yes!
Me: Then how come I had oil on exhaust side of the turbo?
Mechanic: Because the PCV was blocked with a screw from manifold side it wasnt releasing the excessive oil pressure… so it had to do it some how and then he showed me a oil pipe which goes to the turbo under the rocker cover… according to him when the car was on a hill the oil entered that pipe and went to the exhaust, causing the smoke.
Me: but the catch can is suppose to prevent this?
mechanic: I can not answer why it smoked after installing it.
Me: why was I told that the turbo is fucked?
Mechanic: I do not know exactly why they said that.

I really hope this helps you anyone with similar problem.

Thank you.