GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

anyone ever walnut blast their own intake valves?

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
I just think it's not worth buying the media blasting equipment if I'm only going to use it once.

Makes more sense for you. I've just got the one car that might need it, so I'll only have occasion to use it once. For the $250 plus media, plus having another big tool taking up storage space, I'd rather just get in there with picks and brushes if I'm going to do the job myself.

Does that BMW vacuum attachment fit our cars, too? I would have thought the ports were a different size/shape.
+1 I've done this on my Tiguan a few years ago, it's not bad with chemicals like GM Top Cleaner or B12 Chem Tool from Walmart, if you have trouble finding these in Canada you can also look for Permatex Gasket Remover at Canadian Tire stores which is basically the same stuff but maybe a bit more expensive due to the name.

As for the vacuum tool just get a plastic radiator hose and elbow and use a drill and cut a hole in the elbow (only a bit bigger than the nozzle of the walnut blaster) and connect it to a Shop Vac. If you don't have a good vacuum tool like this it gets like super messy.

zrickety

The Fixer
Audi has a patent for italian tune up-type carbon cleaning. Basically driving it real hard for 30 min heats up the valves and head to where the deposits start to burn off. It's real. I don't know that anyone has before and after pics but with 140k miles I know it works.
That said, the BMW and Mini guys swear by the walnut blasting. It is a great alternative to chemicals and scrubbing if you have the tools.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Audi has a patent for italian tune up-type carbon cleaning. Basically driving it real hard for 30 min heats up the valves and head to where the deposits start to burn off. It's real. I don't know that anyone has before and after pics but with 140k miles I know it works.
That said, the BMW and Mini guys swear by the walnut blasting. It is a great alternative to chemicals and scrubbing if you have the tools.

If I had a scope to take a before/after pic i would try this. Worth a 1/2 tank of gas running at 4K to see if it works but it can't possibly clean it the same way some picks or blasting does..... :iono:

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
Audi has a patent for italian tune up-type carbon cleaning. Basically driving it real hard for 30 min heats up the valves and head to where the deposits start to burn off. It's real.

It's real, but "drive it real hard for 30 min" doesn't mean spirited driving the way most of us think about it; it's more like driving at highway speeds in second gear for half an hour - you have to keep it as close to redline as possible the entire time. It's super hard on your engine.