GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How fast is a stage 1 R?

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
That being said I find myself lusting over used Golf R now...there is just so much more potential for power and because AWD!

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
FSI, doe. Clutches, doe. Water pumps, doe. VW, doe.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
FSI, doe. Clutches, doe. Water pumps, doe. VW, doe.

The FSI part doesn't scare me at all since it's a very revised FSI with much stronger internals. The clutch supposedly has been upgraded a bit or at least parts of it. I don't know, it would have to be a bargain but I can see getting into a used R in a year for like $25k.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
The FSI part doesn't scare me at all since it's a very revised FSI with much stronger internals. The clutch supposedly has been upgraded a bit or at least parts of it. I don't know, it would have to be a bargain but I can see getting into a used R in a year for like $25k.

clutch info? we have local guys buring theirs out on stage 2 tunes. A used premium at $25k would be nice.

Timing tensioner doe? Or FSI doesnt have that? I know the belt vs chain difference..

that too.

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I honestly wouldn't go past Stage 1+ if I even went that far. A Stage 1 R would satisfy me for awhile I think. I think the Dude on here talks of upgraded clutch parts(?)

Dmueller343

Ready to race!
Stage 1 R is slower than a stage 2 gti

Negative
Both these figures are straight from apr s website whp figures on 93 octane

Golf r stage 1 - 271 whp
Tsi gti stage 2- 247 wheel horse power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
clutch info? we have local guys buring theirs out on stage 2 tunes. A used premium at $25k would be nice.

that too.
^I was at 9k miles w/ a 1+ tune and my clutch was warrantied. The regional VWoA tech that was sent to handle my case gave me the info. Someone on vortex confirmed.

I honestly wouldn't go past Stage 1+ if I even went that far. A Stage 1 R would satisfy me for awhile I think. I think the Dude on here talks of upgraded clutch parts(?)
^yes, more info on 'tex as that's where most R owners post.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Negative

Golf r stage 1 - 271 whp

Veyron 182Hp.

Stage 2 GTI 2 >World

lamb110

Go Kart Champion
^I was at 9k miles w/ a 1+ tune and my clutch was warrantied. The regional VWoA tech that was sent to handle my case gave me the info. Someone on vortex confirmed.

^yes, more info on 'tex as that's where most R owners post.
What'd he say the cause of the failure was? Didnt give you trouble for being tuned?

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
What'd he say the cause of the failure was? Didnt give you trouble for being tuned?

Nah, no troubles being tuned. The clutch didn't "fail", per se... It slipped a few times which I was able to video so I didn't have to hear the whole "we can't reproduce it" spiel from the dealer. Also the clutch was grainy/sandy feeling at times, engagement points seemed to vary by the day. Sometimes I couldn't put it in gear. anyway, the service advisor told me they were instructed to call VWoA as soon as an R owner mentioned the word "clutch" and wait for their instruction.

I was nervous about the tune even though my dealer was mod friendly. I was also nervous that another stock clutch would be pointless and I'd have to replace that in another 10k. But after hearing the parts were upgraded I felt better and after 18k I have not slipped or experienced any of that other bs.

As for what the problem actually was. No clue. All I got was that there was some odd discoloration around the edges of the disc but no cracks or anything like that.

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
Negative

Golf r stage 1 - 271 whp

Have you raced one from 1st till 6th gear?

Dmueller343

Ready to race!
Have you raced one from 1st till 6th gear?

Yes I have and I also had stage 2 gti. Golf r all day. Pulls so much longer and harder than gti. Ko4 does make big difference even without fuel pump

Djunited1

Go Kart Champion
Yes I have and I also had stage 2 gti. Golf r all day. Pulls so much longer and harder than gti. Ko4 does make big difference even without fuel pump

Unless us gtis are slower than euro gtis a stage 2 gti is faster than a stage 1 r. Me and my friends have done countless runs together and i managed to get one on vid. Ill post when i get home.