m4ci3k

Passed Driver's Ed
What is the best RPM's to shift at?

I've read 5-5.5k is best for our powerband but would like more opinions

I am DSG.

Thanks in advance

TDI110

O_o
wrong section. It depends on the style of driving. I am assuming racing then some members recommend 6k? I have a TDI and for the sake of fuel economy I switch around 2-2.5k rpm. When I accelerate and want to feel the torque I switch around 4k rpm.

taylor21

Ready to race!
first few gears you can rev a little higher then 5.5k but once you hit 3rd and beyond stick to about 5.5k

msm00b

Ready to race!
I feel less torque, pull, and acceleration after 6k as compared to 4-6k rpms in the higher gears (3-6). First two gears I'm usually hitting redline before a shift ... partly because you still get good pull, but mostly because you can hit redline so damn fast.

zee

Go Kart Champion
I say rev it all the way past redline and let the gearing do its job, but what do you consider powerband?

Looking at a GTIs dyno graph,

Shifting at 6800rpm brings the rev back to ~4900rpm which has the meat of horsepower but torque dropping pretty soon which make it feel as if there is less pull(not as much torque).

Shifting early at 5500rpm drops the rev back to ~3600rpm which has less horsepower(than @5500rpm), but you are dropped in the meat of the torque.

HP or TQ?...Which makes the car go faster as they usually switch places at about 5200rpm? Debate away.

msm00b

Ready to race!