GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

touch up paint method

Si.....

Passed Driver's Ed
just ordered some from VW i have 2 hairline cracks in the lip of the roof where it meets the windscreen and a small chip on the lip of the rear right side arch.

anyone know of a guide or process i should follow.

as it stands i will be touching it up with a single strand plucked from a paint brush but there must be more to it then that?

thanks.

-Dozer-

Ready to race!
I'm not sure what the cracks look like, maybe you could post a pic.

As for fixing the chip I prefer using a toothpick and following these (or most of) these steps:

-Clean the area of the car with the chips
-Follow up with wax remover
-Use a fiberglass scratch brush in the chip (found at most any FLAPS)
-wipe the chip area down with an alchohol or some paint prep stuff to clean the dust.
-Shake the touch up paint extremely well
-Use a toothpick for application
-Go slow and only deposit a small amount of paint in the center of the chip for a thin coat.
-Let it dry for about an hour then use a hair dryer for maybe 30 seconds on it
-Repeat by adding another thin layer of paint and allowing it to dry
-Do 2-3 or more coats over the course of a warm dry day until the paint is at or above the level of the finished paint.

At this point you can either stop or look up more info on properly sanding and polishing the chip down to the level of the paint and blending the area. I'm not familiar enough with clear coats so somebody else with experience on these cars will have to chime in.

This should at least give you a bit of direction on where to go with it and what else to read up on.

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I would substitute a match (the not striking end) for the toothpick.
For clearcoat I use a good quality clear nail polish.

kimsballs

Ready to race!
they just had something on about.com today on how to fix small scratches, they said to use a syringe instead of atoothpick you fill it up and slowly "inject" inot the scratch.

jmblur1

Go Kart Champion
FFS...don't click on that link...my antivirus just threw up 18 warnings. People please be careful with the links you post.

Autopia is a very well regarded detailing site, there must be a virus in one of their ads somewhere.

FasDarken

Ready to race!
Switch to a Mac where viruses are not an issue whatsoever. :thumbsup:

xzibit-yo-dawg-i-herd-you-like-macs.jpg

tfcGTI

Ready to race!
I just picked up the VW touch up paint. Has anyone used it? I am not a car guy and I've never used it before and my freaking chip is right on top of my hood. I am wondering if it's simple enough for me or should I take it to a shop.

If you use it can you post on the results and simplicity?

Thank you.

jerm

Ready to race!
I've touched up rock chips with a factory paint pen on my current car (not a VW, yet) and then smoothed/finished off with Langka (http://www.langka.com/). It took a little while to do it right, but if you follow the directions provided by Langka, then it turns out fairly well. I neglected to spend extra time on the prepping so my application wasn't completely perfect. It's a little expensive for the Langka kit, but it's worth a good shot - especially if you're doing it yourself.