GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Post AC musky smell... ?!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Already changed the cabin air filter. Smell still remains. I want to deodorize the system as well to get it to go away.

I believe the air intake for the recirculate function is located on the inside of the car in the passenger footwell.

Absolutely NOT the engine air intake.

blue_mkvi_gti

Ready to race!
I had the same issue in my 2007 jetta and now my 2012 gti. My dealer told me back then its because of the design of the AC ducts, theres a kink where condensation can pool. The only way to reduce it was as others have said, run the heat for a few minutes before shutting off the car; although that never really worked much either. I just don't use the AC anymore, an excuse to put the windows down or sweat out some toxins

WAP

Go Kart Champion
I cleaned out my AC lsat weekend with a can of Lysol. Smells fresh!

Did you just spray it into the vents or into the intake under the wipers? How much did you spray in?

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Did you just spray it into the vents or into the intake under the wipers? How much did you spray in?

I followed the same instructions that 1Z Klima Klean recommends, except with Lysol.

I pulled out the air filter, it was filthy (40k), I had a replacement on hand. I turned on the heat for two minutes on full blast. I then tried spraying into the filter area, but air was blowing out of it, so I turned off the air temporarily and sprayed the crap out of it for like 10 seconds. I then turned it back on full blast heat w/ recirculate on and let it run for like a minute or so. I repeated this process a few times. Then I opened the hood and sprayed directly into the passenger side air vent (under the rain tray). Obviously I turned off recirculate. This really helped a lot.

I don't have the fresh Lysol smell anymore, but it doesn't stink like feet anymore. We've had a week in the 90s with 90% humidity and I've been good so far (knock on wood).

WAP

Go Kart Champion
I followed the same instructions that 1Z Klima Klean recommends, except with Lysol.

I pulled out the air filter, it was filthy (40k), I had a replacement on hand. I turned on the heat for two minutes on full blast. I then tried spraying into the filter area, but air was blowing out of it, so I turned off the air temporarily and sprayed the crap out of it for like 10 seconds. I then turned it back on full blast heat w/ recirculate on and let it run for like a minute or so. I repeated this process a few times. Then I opened the hood and sprayed directly into the passenger side air vent (under the rain tray). Obviously I turned off recirculate. This really helped a lot.

I don't have the fresh Lysol smell anymore, but it doesn't stink like feet anymore. We've had a week in the 90s with 90% humidity and I've been good so far (knock on wood).

Thanks! :thumbsup:

tnagy

Passed Driver's Ed
I just called 1 dealer, A/C cleaning is not cover under warranty and it cost $180.00. Anybody done this under warranty?

Chasti

They told me they wouldnt do it free because Im out of warranty. Seems like a lot of people got it for free while covered.