GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to swap my MK6 engine with Tiguan - Yes or No

Ugene55

Ready to race!
I have a 2011 GTI 2.0t CCTA engine. My timing got completely screwed up and the repairs will cost more than it will be to buy a new engine. (around 5k vs 3.5k)

I found a decent engine from a 2011 Tiguan with 55k miles. I read around that the Tiguan has the same engine as the GTI. Only difference is that it doesnt have the turbo (which I can salvage from my car and install).

Has anyone ever swapped engines with a Tiguan or can you re-assure me that they are completely compatible? I am gonna have to shell out $3,500 for this thing and dont want any room for error, so I came to the pro's. Please help! Any advice/input would help.

Last edited:

CobraKing

Ready to race!
I'm pretty sure it's the same turbo-ed motor that VW has been running across the GTI, previous generation Passat, CC & Tiguan. The motor does have a turbo but you may run into some issues with a Tiguan ECU.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Call up some local junkyards. I was able to find a long block with decent mileage for 2k within the first day of looking.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
I'm pretty sure it's the same turbo-ed motor that VW has been running across the GTI, previous generation Passat, CC & Tiguan. The motor does have a turbo but you may run into some issues with a Tiguan ECU.

from what i heard, the CC's gear ratios are longer, 60 gear about 1,900 rpms vs mk6 gti 2,600 rpms.

also we had a guy that did stage 2 then ko4'ed his tiguan but he's banned now, look into skullv.

You d need to get the ECU also.. And even then few headache ahead as you ll get some codes and will need to find which sensors to disable..

Only reason I d do it is if I could find the Tiguan TSI AWD with dq500 then I would be in for a swop ;)

SuperJ

Passed Driver's Ed
Tiguan transmission is totally different. Tiguan 6spd manual uses the same transmission as the TTRS. The motor would probably work with your existing transmission though.

Why-man5

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2011 GTI 2.0t CCTA engine. My timing got completely screwed up and the repairs will cost more than it will be to buy a new engine. (around 5k vs 3.5k)

I found a decent engine from a 2011 Tiguan with 55k miles. I read around that the Tiguan has the same engine as the GTI. Only difference is that it doesnt have the turbo (which I can salvage from my car and install).

Has anyone ever swapped engines with a Tiguan or can you re-assure me that they are completely compatible? I am gonna have to shell out $3,500 for this thing and dont want any room for error, so I came to the pro's. Please help! Any advice/input would help.

I have a 2012 gti and 2014 tiguan...same engine and horsepower (i.e., both turbocharged)....

cbenjes

Go Kart Newbie
Check out:

VORWERK AUTO
Store Location:
16 Cockeysville Rd.
Cockeysville, MD 21030
phone: (410) 666-0052
http://vorwerkauto.com/

Cockeysville, MD is only about an hours from Lancaster. They part out a lot of VW's.

Calkulin

Ready to race!
As long as you match the engine code to what your car has, CCTA, then it won't matter what car it came from as it's the same engine and you will be to reuse anything you need like ECU, sensors, turbo, etc. Technically you can use a CBFA engine in your car but you may need do a couple of things to get it working correctly, like get a block off plate for the SAI hole(not know if CCTA engine have it or just don't have the hole, etc)

Ugene55

Ready to race!
As long as you match the engine code to what your car has, CCTA, then it won't matter what car it came from as it's the same engine and you will be to reuse anything you need like ECU, sensors, turbo, etc. Technically you can use a CBFA engine in your car but you may need do a couple of things to get it working correctly, like get a block off plate for the SAI hole(not know if CCTA engine have it or just don't have the hole, etc)

Do you think I will need the ECU from the Tiguan? I think the engine should be enough. I confirmed that it is a CCTA engine. Now regarding the Turbo, I can re-use the one from my GTI, correct?

Thanks!

Calkulin

Ready to race!
No, all you need is the engine itself(long block), you could reuse any part from your engine, including the engine harness if needed. But ideally you want to use which ever parts have the lower mileage or are in better condition, so just inspect everything to decide

EDIT: ECU's are only needed if you're transplanting a completely different engine in, where your ECU will not run it correctly but in our case, a CCTA ECU should be able to run even a CBFA engine with minor work

Last edited:

macrossplus

No, all you need is the engine itself(long block), you could reuse any part from your engine, including the engine harness if needed. But ideally you want to use which ever parts have the lower mileage or are in better condition, so just inspect everything to decide

EDIT: ECU's are only needed if you're transplanting a completely different engine in, where your ECU will not run it correctly but in our case, a CCTA ECU should be able to run even a CBFA engine with minor work

Can I put a CCTA engine in my CBFA MK6 GTI without changing the ECU? I am told that the ecu may throw an error code if the pump and wiring that isnt being used is disconnected.

WIll it fwork?
can I tell the ECU that its a CCTA?

Uberryan

Banned
You will need to pair the ECU to the new engine, otherwise you'll get emissions codes, possibly limp mode.