GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NCSUGray90's 2011 Titan Black GTI

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
I have actually not gone with the Koni's yet, and the drive feels great. It is definitely more firm than stock, but it's really not bad. I'll end up doing the Konis sometime next year once I start getting more into track days and autocrossing. Everyone says they you will eventually blow your shocks out with lowering springs, but some people claim having gone 50,000+ miles before having to do so.

Glad you like the drop! I have several more performance oriented mods to do before I start worrying much about aesthetics, but then I'll have your car to catch up to, especially with those sexy depo's you're running [emoji43]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, those are really great! :wub:

So, I understand you are running the H&R Super sports. How about the sport springs from H&R. I have read they have a milder drop. Also, would they be better off with the standard shocks?

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Yes, those are really great! :wub:

So, I understand you are running the H&R Super sports. How about the sport springs from H&R. I have read they have a milder drop. Also, would they be better off with the standard shocks?

I'm honestly not 100% sure, and I think it depends on your driving style and the roads in your area. I think that if you drive modestly and in good roads, you should be fine. Then again, if you drive like a jackass on crap roads, then I doubt the stock shocks would last with factory springs, haha.

Either way, if you do t have the cash to do it all at once, you'll probably be fine for at least a few months, but if you can afford to do everything all together, that's what I'd do.

deep.mit

Go Kart Champion
Hmmm, sounds good. I have been thinking about this for quite long now! Torn between DG, VWR and now the H&R. I really don't want to go beyond replacing the springs. And they say VWR/DG springs work just fine with the stock shocks.

CA roads are not too good, esp inside the cities. So, that's one issue. I have read that VWR rides softer than the stock springs though.

Another thing to deal with is reverse rake, which I hate to bits!

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Hmmm, sounds good. I have been thinking about this for quite long now! Torn between DG, VWR and now the H&R. I really don't want to go beyond replacing the springs. And they say VWR/DG springs work just fine with the stock shocks.

CA roads are not too good, esp inside the cities. So, that's one issue. I have read that VWR rides softer than the stock springs though.

Another thing to deal with is reverse rake, which I hate to bits!

I definitely understand you on the reverse rake.

Maybe go DG/VWR for the springs for the drop, and then get some struts to stiffen the whole thing up?

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Finally going to a track day!

Just signed up for my first track day! Had to blot out the majority of my receipt for obvious reasons, but I am super stoked!!

Time to see what I'm capable of, cause I'm sure that for now the car far exceeds my capabilities! :laugh:

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Will do! If I can figure out why my GoPro is being weird, then I should have footage to upload after as well

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Thanks man! It's definitely still in its infancy, I have a lot more planned for it.

I've been told CMP is set up well for lower hp cars that can handle well, what with its many turns and shorter straights, but time will tell soon enough! I'd definitely love to have several people around with same or similar mods so I learn better driving techniques for mine as well as see how different mods stack up/affect lap times vs drivability

barnes93cb

Go Kart Champion
Thanks man! It's definitely still in its infancy, I have a lot more planned for it.

I've been told CMP is set up well for lower hp cars that can handle well, what with its many turns and shorter straights, but time will tell soon enough! I'd definitely love to have several people around with same or similar mods so I learn better driving techniques for mine as well as see how different mods stack up/affect lap times vs drivability

Ive been told its rough on brakes. But that would make sense with all the turns. With my car having 46k miles I would like to upgrade my brakes before I track the car. Then tires at some point. I have a feeling my Nitto Neogens wont be the best track tires.

m3bs

Passed Driver's Ed
CMP is killer on brakes. I wouldn't even try it on stock VW pads. Just one of several reasons I quit going to CMP.

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
I guess I'll find out as I won't have time to upgrade my pads before the event. I was told by my friend who is my instructor and drives an mk5, that one session should be fine. Plus I'm HPDE 1, so I'm not going to be pushing my car nearly as hard as people in the upper levels. I will definitely have dedicated track pads before my next event though

ncsugray90

Ready to race!
Finally had my first track day in the GTI, and I must say, I was impressed.

The car handled great, had enough power to get me down the straights, but not so much to make throttle modulation during turns a pain, and was very predictable and easy to recover.

I will say, while the stock brakes did OK, I would absolutely recommend replacing them before doing anything on a track. I had fade at the end of nearly all my sessions, and actually had them on fire when I came in from a session without a cool down lap. So definitely replace those. (m3bs, feel free to say I told you so)

Here is a vid from my 2nd session on day one. I got much faster in the third session and through the next day, as I drove the first few session almost exclusively in fourth, to focus more on my line than on shifting. Enjoy:

I will be posting another video of the weekends highlights, but that will take a bit of time to edit, compile, and upload

Last edited: