GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bad Rod bearing

IGTI12

I recently took my 2012 gti into the shop after hearing a clicking noise that sounded like it was coming from the transmission. They told me that rod bearing #4 was bad and that vw was going to replace everything but the engine block and anything new that bolts to the engine ( intake, turbo, exhaust, ect.) I think there is a good case that the turbo and engine block should be replaced as well. I'm looking to hear what your thoughts are as I will be calling the dealer back today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigturbonyc

Ready to race!
I don't remember what year it was but there was a rash of bad rod bolts and one would break on cylinder 4.

simpson110

Ready to race!
I don't see why the turbo and anything that isn't directly affected by the bad bearing should be replaced. I'm sure you will get a new crank and probably all new rods along with it. I'm surprised they don't just drop in a new short block and call it a day.

IGTI12

Update, dealer told me they will put a new refurbished motor in the car. New block and all. They will inspect turbo and if damaged they will replace if no damage they will not replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simpson110

Ready to race!
Sounds about right. Hope it all works out but seems like it's heading in the right direction.