GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Startup rattle- normal or no?

MatejkoGTI

If you turn it off and start again immediately after 1st cold start, do you get the rattle or not? If not then my bet is on the chain tensioner.

Don®

Ready to race!
I have a 2009 A3 and it's intermittent with 73k. I'm sure I have the old version of the tensioner.

Though, if I'm not mistaken yours should have the newer version which 'should' fix this problem.

firefly1

Passed Driver's Ed
I get a similar rattle with the 1.4tsi engine.

This is the first cold start in 2 days. I parked in an underground garage with ambient temp about 28C/80F. It only rattles if I parked it long enough... doesn't do it if I just leave it parked overnight.

Don®

Ready to race!
I get a similar rattle with the 1.4tsi engine.

This is the first cold start in 2 days. I parked in an underground garage with ambient temp about 28C/80F. It only rattles if I parked it long enough... doesn't do it if I just leave it parked overnight.

What year is your car?

clutch797

Ready to race!
If you turn it off and start again immediately after 1st cold start, do you get the rattle or not? If not then my bet is on the chain tensioner.

Yea mine only dose it when it's a cold start. Now i'm wondering if i should buy and extended warrenty. kinda nervous now because i don't know if my full coverage will cover a blown motor.

rawag77

Ready to race!
Same here but only when the outside temps are above 80 it seems. I'll be watching it very closely this winter. It didn't do this for the first 15k miles. I'm at 27k now and i'll make note of it again on my next oil change.

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Anyone figure this out? I have same problem as TC same EXACT sound but thing is I got my timing tensioner updated. But it only happens when car has been sitting for an hour after driving. Cold start or anything after sitting for 2 or 3 hours it doesn't do it. Driving me nuts. It has fresh motul 8100 in it as well.

rider89

Im trying to see if I have the same problem...how loud is the sound? Do windows have to be down to hear it?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Im trying to see if I have the same problem...how loud is the sound? Do windows have to be down to hear it?

I can hear mine from inside the car, I see in your profile it says you have a 2.5 but I dont really know anything about those engines compared to the TSI.

kram

Ready to race!
Anyone figure this out? I have same problem as TC same EXACT sound but thing is I got my timing tensioner updated. But it only happens when car has been sitting for an hour after driving. Cold start or anything after sitting for 2 or 3 hours it doesn't do it. Driving me nuts. It has fresh motul 8100 in it as well.

Pretty much same for me... I also had my tensioner updated. 2010 w/ 97k on it.. No noticeable noise beyond initial start-up rattle. :iono:

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Pretty much same for me... I also had my tensioner updated. 2010 w/ 97k on it.. No noticeable noise beyond initial start-up rattle. :iono:

Ive talked with some other people and been doing research forever and can find no concrete answer, but to me it seems like a slightly stretched chain is the most likely answer. But since we have the new tensioner, its probably not going to fail or cause any harm in the long term besides annoying rattle when the engine is warmed and started. Maybe one day if it starts to rattle consistently ill finally end up swapping out the chain and getting all new guides etc