GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Humming sound while driving?

RingBredGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello All,
I noticed recently while driving above 30 mp/h or so there is a steady humming noise coming from somewhere. It gets louder the faster I go. I believe its from the front because when im turning right it goes away, when I turn left its sill there, it only goes away if I turn right. Does this sound like a wheel bearing issue, or maybe a issue with one of the tires?

Thank You

mistaleungg

Go Kart Newbie
I got this in very occasional cases. But I can't tell which wheels it is sadly.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Jack up the corner & check the wheel for play, or spin the wheel and listen to the center (with a mechanic's stethoscope) for noise

TimS

Go Kart Newbie
In addition to the wheel bearings, check your tires. My front right was cupped and it sounded like a bad bearing.

Mk6Sam

In addition to the wheel bearings, check your tires. My front right was cupped and it sounded like a bad bearing.

THIS. I had a noise like you are describing that would come on around 20mph. I replaced my wheel bearings because I thought my noise was a failing one...

Ended up getting new wheels and tires last year and the noise went away. My 4 year old Pirelli tires, that probably weren't rotated by the PO, were the problem noise.

Put the spare tire on the side you feel is making the noise and see if it goes away after a short drive to see if you can confirm that is the issue.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
^kind of what i'm up against as well; i have tires with less than 20k on them but with all the rolling burnouts I've done i'm worried it slowly imbalances the wheels; sounds a lot like a wheel bearing with some of the humming i get and soft little thud-thud-thud-thud you get with that sometimes.

i gotta jack it up and investigate for wheel play; just doesn't sound like fun lol