GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Golfmk6 Wheel/Fitment Info Thread!

StayStetti

Banned
Either way you're fine. The result will poke about 15mm more than your stock wheels, which should be just about flush. Should be a good set up.

FoxGTI

Ready to race!
Either way you're fine. The result will poke about 15mm more than your stock wheels, which should be just about flush. Should be a good set up.

Great thank you that is what I wanted to hear. :w00t:
I am rotating my stock wheels tomorrow so I get to see how soon before I need tires. It makes sense to order a wheel and tire package now and just have them sitting in my garage for a few months?

do you know if the stock tires will fit on a 8.5" wheel?

FoxGTI

Ready to race!
Whoops, this would be true with a 8.5" wheel. You'd poke about 10mm, not 15.

Sorry these are the spec for the wheels I would like to get:
I think I was giving you mistaken informaton.

18x8
Offset: 48mm
Backspacing: 6.41" Bolt Pattern: 5-112
Rec. Tire Size:225/40-18
Weight: 22.0lbs.

When you say poke, you just mean the wheels is moving towards the fender side not necessarily sticking out past the fender correct? I do not want to stick past the fender.

FoxGTI

Ready to race!
Yeah, just mean moving outward, sorry about that.

I am also looking at these:
BBS CO (cheaper)
18x8
Offset: 44mm
Backspacing: 6.22" Bolt Pattern: 5-112
Rec. Tire Size:225/40-18

These have more offset correct? There is a 7mm difference from stock which means the wheel will poke 7mm more than stock?
what is the largest offset I can run to not stick past the fender. The idea for the is to be able to tuck the wheels during hard cornering (think autoX or track)

Thank you for all your help. I guess what is really important to know is the distance from the face of the hub to the inner side of the fenders, then work it out on paper.

StayStetti

Banned
You got it!, but don't forget to add the added poke from the width change, which is a quarter of an inch (about 6mm) so it'd poke out 13mm from stock. On an 8" wheel, you could get away with anything above 38 I think.

FoxGTI

Ready to race!
1/4" because that is 1/4" on each side of the wheel
Essentially (Δ width) / 2) + (Δ offset) = Final Wheel Poke.

Man you have been of great help. Do we know the distance from the hub to the inner side of the fender by any chance? - IF not ill try to my best to determine it when I go install my mudflaps this weekend.

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
1/4" because that is 1/4" on each side of the wheel
Essentially (Δ width) / 2) + (Δ offset) = Final Wheel Poke.

Man you have been of great help. Do we know the distance from the hub to the inner side of the fender by any chance? - IF not ill try to my best to determine it when I go install my mudflaps this weekend.

I just put on some 17x8 ET45 with 245/40's and my tires are right at flush with my fenders (my fronts are actually poking a slight bit, I might get my fenders rolled and pushed out just a bit to match)

BAM its mitch

Go Kart Champion
yeah but realize you put some pretty wide tires. isn't stock 225/40?

Yeah, but doing the math (and I understand this isn't exactly right because the tires actual width changes somewhat based on what width wheel you have) but from 225 to 245 is 10 mm per side, and 7.5 to 8 inches is 1/4" per side (6.35 mm) which leaves the tire hanging over 3.65mm more than 225's on a 7.5" wheel.

So with an 8 inch wheel, an ET45 and 225's I think you are damn close to flush.

FoxGTI

Ready to race!
I guess it tirerack says the tires are meant to fit in the car, they will not poke out. So i guess I need to stop worrying too much.