GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 12-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #57
grambles423
Limited Activity

Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
VWR vs. DG Springs
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33430
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36435
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #58
the bruce
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Mk.V GTI
THX !!!

BBS, Ferodo, H&R, OEM VW + TT, S3 & RS3 parts, aerodynamics
Sachs Performance, Supersprint, SuperPro, Tarox, Whiteline
PICS
the bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #59
grambles423
Limited Activity

Drives: 2008.5 BMP GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bruce View Post
THX !!!
Feel free to add WHATEVER you'd like Bruce
Centric Blank Rotors-Stoptech SP Pads

grambles423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #60
the bruce
Formula 5000 Driver

Thumbs up

Just wanted to let you know I enjoy the forum more than ever !!

PICS
Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #61
Gurg

Drives: 2012 GTI
What would you think about combining the eibach pro plus kit (kit has lowering springs .8in front and rear and 26mm front bar and 23mm rear bar) with the koni fsd shocks. Koni says they work best with stock springs so dont know if theyll wear out with .8in drop. Id like to avoid a huge drop and shocks that id have to tune. What i really want is nice stiff preformance a little low and dont want to be messing around with a bunch of different settings.
Gurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #62
the bruce
Formula 5000 Driver

Avoid FSDs with lowering springs if you want handling. Get Koni Yellows or Bilsteins,
best with DG springs. Feel free to mate them with you sway bars of choice.

PICS
Old 05-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #63
kthor703
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 2Dr GTI CSG Manual
Quote:
How do you calculate the roll center?
Moment of Roll (How hard you're vehicle rolls) = Roll Stiffness * Roll angle

Roll Stiffness = Front Roll Stiffness + Rear Roll Stiffness = FRS + RRS

FRS = 0.5 * Wheel Rate * Front Trackwidth^2 + Stiffness of Front Sway

RRS = 0.5 * Wheel Rate * Rear Trackwidth^2 + Stiffness of Rear Sway

*Sway thickness can be forund on the internet if you google Sway stiffness formula

*Assume your wheel rates are the same on each side

Moment of Roll = Sprung Mass * Gravity * (D) * Roll Angle + Sprung Mass * Laterall Acceleration * (D)

Lateral Acceleration = Speed into the turn / Radius of the Turn

(D) = Height of center of gravity above roll center (if roll center is above CG, d < 0 )
Shouldn't the bold portion be squared? Would hate to see someone try calculations and mess up if so, considering how tedious it is :P. Love coming back to this thread.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #64
imtimmy
Touring Car Champion

Drives: '17 Golf R w/manual gear lever
Thanks for all valuable info and input on this thread. Been driving 2012 gti for only 2 weeks now and still learning and loving the car. I do want to close gap in wheel wells but not if the ride is going to get harsh and tires uneven in 10k miles. I am following the dg vs. vwr spring thread now as well.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #65
kthor703
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2012 2Dr GTI CSG Manual
After doing much research and reading this thread, I am still a little hazy on this concept. Is lowering enough to disrupt the geometry (ie: over an inch) bad for handling overall, including performance driving, or only for Daily driving?
Old 02-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #66
thez99
FIA GT Champion

Drives: Carbon Grey MKVII GTI 4-dr
Funny, I see all this comparing of DG and neuspeed springs, but I see nothing of SPM's springs..First off their price kicks ass, they have built in bumpstops (perhaps negatable) and they look to drop front and rear an equal 1" which would be perfect to close the gap but def not cause rubbing on the fender or inside. Also, anybody know what the spring rates are on the SPM springs versus stock?

Also, Ive seen on here some bashing of the FSD's and also some bashing of the bilstein sport's "harshness", can anyone elaborate a bit more on how severe either of these situations are?
I dont track my car, but Ive been driving more than long enough to know what Im doing and I love to drive spiritedly and be able to feel the car and have it work well for me. Driving is not only just getting to work and back but also a hobby for me so.. Doing so I've been looking at the bilstien sports with the spm springs, looks like a great mate up, perfect height, set struts and dampers to much improve performance but not kill the ride. Was considering the FSD's but I had used them previously with my mk5 I had before, and honestly I didnt notice much of a performance improvement, Only drove em for about 4k miles before I sold the car though. That and also the fsd's are about $120 more than then Bil sports which honestly I feel are already better track tested and review better as Ive seen. Kinda just up in the air about what to do.

Also, about replacing the strut mounts/bearing/bolts front and rear for an aftermarket changeup, is this def necessary? Ive read plenty about it being more of a "put your mind to ease" mod when replacing shocks/springs, rather than a necessity but figured id ask. Ive seen the kits that replace the bushings, bearings, bolt, spindle bolts, nuts, etc. for the front and rear together at around $150 which isnt bad, but if not necessary than who knows

P.S. Forgot to ask if anyone has any dealings with the koni str.t struts/shocks? I mean you cant beat the price for sure, but are they really going to improve much in performance, etc. or are they pretty much just equal stock shock replacers?
Mods::: Modshack VDTA Intake Carbon pwdcoat ./. Apr Stage 1 fully loaded ./. SPM Custom Polished Full TBE ./. 18x8 et45 Alzor 621's (winter)./. 17x7.5 et42 Focal X's, Michelin PSS (summer) ./. NewSouth Ventpod Boost gauge ./. BFI 70a Torque arm insert ./. StopTech ST-41 BBK ./. ECS F-R swaybars ./. Unibrace red UB/XB ./. GFB DV+

Last edited by thez99; 02-15-2014 at 10:15 PM.
thez99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #67
the bruce
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Funny, I see all this comparing of DG and neuspeed springs, but I see nothing of SPM's springs..First off their price kicks ass, they have built in bumpstops (perhaps negatable) and they look to drop front and rear an equal 1" which would be perfect to close the gap but def not cause rubbing on the fender or inside. Also, anybody know what the spring rates are on the SPM springs versus stock?
First, bump stops are not "built in". They come with their own (just 2?)
and this is what DG also come with. Bump stops sit on dampers, not on
the springs.

Spring rates, Google is your friend, mate:

http://www.drivespm.com/MK6-GTI-Spri...0z-kn31-00.htm

They claim an increase of 42 % and this is why I say they are NOT a proper
match with stock dampers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Also, Ive seen on here some bashing of the FSD's and also some bashing of the bilstein sport's "harshness", can anyone elaborate a bit more on how severe either of these situations are?
FSDs are fine with stock springs, at least on a Golf. They are NOT intended
to be run with lowering springs (which are almost always stiffer).

Mk.VI Bilsteins aren't harsh anyway. Some find the Mk.V Bilstein to be little
stiff - I don't.

Quote:
I dont track my car, but Ive been driving more than long enough to know what Im doing and I love to drive spiritedly and be able to feel the car and have it work well for me. Driving is not only just getting to work and back but also a hobby for me so.. Doing so I've been looking at the bilstien sports with the spm springs, looks like a great mate up, perfect height, set struts and dampers to much improve performance but not kill the ride. Was considering the FSD's but I had used them previously with my mk5 I had before, and honestly I didnt notice much of a performance improvement, Only drove em for about 4k miles before I sold the car though. That and also the fsd's are about $120 more than then Bil sports which honestly I feel are already better track tested and review better as Ive seen. Kinda just up in the air about what to do.
SPM with Mk.V Bilstein B8/Sport or DGs with Mk.VI Bilsteins for you.

Quote:
Also, about replacing the strut mounts/bearing/bolts front and rear for an aftermarket changeup, is this def necessary?
Ive read plenty about it being more of a "put your mind to ease" mod when replacing shocks/springs, rather than a necessity but figured id ask. Ive seen the kits that replace the bushings, bearings, bolt, spindle bolts, nuts, etc. for the front and rear together at around $150 which isnt bad, but if not necessary than who knows
Hard to say. I'd get at least new strut bearings, preferably SKF ones.

Quote:
P.S. Forgot to ask if anyone has any dealings with the koni str.t struts/shocks? I mean you cant beat the price for sure, but are they really going to improve much in performance, etc. or are they pretty much just equal stock shock replacers?
I've never driven them, but you'll certainly find 1st hand experience on the forum.

PICS
Old 05-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #68
Dave1078
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '16 GTI MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bruce View Post

Mk.VI Bilsteins aren't harsh anyway. Some find the Mk.V Bilstein to be little
stiff - I don't.

SPM with Mk.V Bilstein B8/Sport or DGs with Mk.VI Bilsteins for you.
Would you say that DG springs + B8/Sport dampers would offer superior ride quality on the street over B14 coilovers?

Edit: Found his answer elsewhere. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=19

Last edited by Dave1078; 05-29-2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Ask and ye shall receive!
Dave1078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:38 PM   #69
Stinger
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: stick 4d CSG '11 Mk6
See my sig for mods. I don't find my suspension to be harsh compared to stock. It's stiffer than stock but with better absorption, if that makes any sense. The only other sport cars experiences I've had is a stock suspension Porsche (stiffer) and Honda S2000 (stiffest -unbearable beyond 50 miles).
Because the sway bar mod was done at about the same time as the suspensions it's a bit hard to pinpoint what has had the most impact on the overall driveability of the car. But as a whole, the car is far more responsive and precise than stock and I don't regret the transformation. Only aesthetic wish it that it was a couple inches lower in the back and about 1" more in the front, for a truly compact look.
APR Stage 1 (V2.1)::RSR-like clutch::Magnaflow catback::Sigma 6 SS::Bilstein B14 PSS::H&R 26mm fsb, 22mm rsb::Tyrol sub frame kit and front brake stiffener kit::UB UNIbrace::R8 coilpacks::LED taillights::Michelin PSS 235/45 on JNC 17x8 et30::
Audio - Eonon GA5153F::Focal Integration Plug & Play::JL Stealthbox 10TW3::JL XD 700/5 amp
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:08 AM   #70
vrBilstein86
Oval Champion

Drives: GTI MK6 - CSG - MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1078 View Post
Would you say that DG springs + B8/Sport dampers would offer superior ride quality on the street over B14 coilovers?

Edit: Found his answer elsewhere. http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=19
I know you found his answer, but let me know if you have any further questions regarding the Bilsteins and ride performance.
vrBilstein86 is offline   Reply With Quote