GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Slight sputter/rough idle on cold starts/ idle

nik

Go Kart Champion
I've been noticing this more for the last few months at least. When I start the car in the morning or even if it's idling at a traffic light sometimes, I get a light Mis-fire like sputter. I thought it was a mis-fire at first as normally I see one or two log on my polar FIS. But today morning it was doing this without displaying any misfires. I haven't had any CEL's and the car runs smoothly when under load.
Any idea what it could be?

I'm bone stock other than cosmetic mods with 50 k km on the clock.

Sent from the crapper using Fapatalk

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
Time for a valve/carbon cleaning?

Jaytk

Passed Driver's Ed
Same thing with my car. I'm also thinking it's about time to do carbon cleaning.

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
nik:

Did you happen to find out the cause of the rough idle problem you posted about back in 2015?

I am noticing a similar problem with my 2013 GTI. My car is 100% stock, only 27.5k km, no CELs, car runs smoothly under load. The dealer already did a 'scan' and reported that there were no 'codes stored'.

nik

Go Kart Champion
I did a carbon clean early in spring. No Bueno although the car definitely had more get up and go. Although I think it was a bit smoother on liqui moly vs. The Castrol oil that's in it now. I read somewhere that throttle body may be dirty. Not sure if that was cleaned out during the carbon clean and haven't had time to look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fyodor Dostoevsky

Ready to race!
Ok, thanks.

Interesting point about the Liqui Moly. I am planning to use that brand at my next oil change. It's a German brand so I figure maybe (wild speculation actually) VW designs its engines to suit German oil specifications, and maybe there are some differences from American specifications. Perhaps it might even help with the carbon build-up problem, since this is related to the oil.

nik

Go Kart Champion
Ok, thanks.

Interesting point about the Liqui Moly. I am planning to use that brand at my next oil change. It's a German brand so I figure maybe (wild speculation actually) VW designs its engines to suit German oil specifications, and maybe there are some differences from American specifications. Perhaps it might even help with the carbon build-up problem, since this is related to the oil.

The castrol that's put in our cars is specifically VW approved. It's not the white jug 10w30 that American and Korean cars take.

FriggenT1

Banned
The castrol that's put in our cars is specifically VW approved. It's not the white jug 10w30 that American and Korean cars take.

That vw approved shit is just because castrol pays them for it. Rotella T6 can go 10k miles on a healthy GTI with no problems. "German" castrol is beat in my car by 4k.... stuff is a joke imo.

nik

Go Kart Champion
That vw approved shit is just because castrol pays them for it. Rotella T6 can go 10k miles on a healthy GTI with no problems. "German" castrol is beat in my car by 4k.... stuff is a joke imo.

Explains why the oil cap says Castrol on it lol. I’m going back to liqui moly next change. Just put Castrol in because I had a free service at VW. Also my car drinks Castrol in the winter months.