GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo Discussion Thread #2

wndwsdwngti860

Upsidedown
Pulled the turbo today to get ready to test fit the top mount manifold with turbo attached. Gonna have to move A LOT of items including but not limited to...rear pcv return, evap return, coolant overflow hose, hard lines behind valve cover, Vac taps on rear of vac pump (fuel pump housing).

Will try to update as I go with pics

kern417

Go Kart Champion
I'm saying you should be able to go over the MAP reading limit no problem. The only reason you need a 3bar map is if you want to control boost by load using the N75 and ECU or read over 2.5bar when logging. IIRC, you are using an external boost controller, which means you have no use for a 3 bar MAP. The ECU will let you boost to the moon and back over the MAP limit. If it's not letting you, then you have another issue. I also don't think you should be coming close to maxing the MAF, especially if you're using the CTS 3.5 or 4" MAF housing and it's rescaled properly. I run the stock MAF and don't come close to maxing it, and I've logged other big turbo cars with the stock MAF and they don't come close to maxing it either. So, it's more probable that you have a MAF scaling issue and that's why it's pulling power. I also run ~30psi pretty regularly with the stock MAP.

Did you ever switch to Eurodyne? If so, I can walk you through setting it up to go over MAP limit. Also, you're better off running the stock MAF housing and not messing with rescaling.

In other news, I installed my IE valve springs, removed and retapped the broken exhaust stud that was in my head, and my car runs again. Also got new cam chain guides, I tried to update the chain as well, but they are on backorder everywhere. Total of 2 weeks of downtime, and I only worked on it for like 4 days out of those 2 weeks, and 1-2 hours a day. LOL.

yeah i agree. the scaling was off with DM and better with Etuners but still not perfect. another reason why i was just going to delete the maf altogether. hence my comment regarding both being maxed being the actual issue. if the map hits 2550mbar and the maf is maxed, then the car cuts out. if i fixed the maf scaling issue then i probably wouldn't have that issue.

i got the cable but haven't flashed anything yet. too lazy over the holiday lol. i'll start working on it again soon. i'm just trying to iron out my plan before i dive into it. i reeeeally hate redoing stuff over an over because i changed my mind :eek:

mikejsmith1985

Go Kart Champion
So when you remove the MAF do you setup speed density or is there a more modern solution for running MAFless?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Feeler - AWD swap parts I have stocked up for the MKV, will go to a good cause (mk6). Good trans case 40k miles AWD DQ250 with T-case and wacetrac (you would need to swap in your DSG gear set, was going to do this on my mkv [clutch packs are good still], would come with new clutch cover), rear subframe and knuckles with basically new bearings and abs sensors, bracket to the engine for tcase, passenger front axle new within 500miles, rear axles (one is no good you can possibly rebuild it or use it as a core, outers cv is no good), ABS module, cross over brake line (brand new), I have the driveshaft brackets for the tunnel as well (brand new).

What you would need - Haldex, drive shaft, one rear axle, gas tank and pump (most BT guys use trrs so you're welcome), should be able to get all of that for ~$1k.

I am figuring no mech unit with the trans at the moment but we can talk, it will only work properly on Unitronic stg3 engine software so you can swap you mech unit in or swap to Uni or w/e we can work out the final details.

Buy this and I will help code and wire (diagrams etc).

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
yeah i agree. the scaling was off with DM and better with Etuners but still not perfect. another reason why i was just going to delete the maf altogether. hence my comment regarding both being maxed being the actual issue. if the map hits 2550mbar and the maf is maxed, then the car cuts out. if i fixed the maf scaling issue then i probably wouldn't have that issue.

i got the cable but haven't flashed anything yet. too lazy over the holiday lol. i'll start working on it again soon. i'm just trying to iron out my plan before i dive into it. i reeeeally hate redoing stuff over an over because i changed my mind :eek:

So when you remove the MAF do you setup speed density or is there a more modern solution for running MAFless?

When you remove the MAF you are primarily relying on the primary O2 sensor then. Since most of us are running more than 22psi, the stock MAP isn't adding much to equation once you remove the MAF. If you log it, it'll show MAF values maxed all the time, which is 365g/s IIRC. So you then have no adjustment for temp, altitude, or anything. The car may run good today, but not tomorrow. Removing the MAF is just dumb IMO. You're better off just leaving the stock housing and not messing with it. Sure it might be ugly, but it works.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Feeler - AWD swap parts I have stocked up for the MKV, will go to a good cause (mk6). Good trans case 40k miles AWD DQ250 with T-case and wacetrac (you would need to swap in your DSG gear set, was going to do this on my mkv [clutch packs are good still], would come with new clutch cover), rear subframe and knuckles with basically new bearings and abs sensors, bracket to the engine for tcase, passenger front axle new within 500miles, rear axles (one is no good you can possibly rebuild it or use it as a core, outers cv is no good), ABS module, cross over brake line (brand new), I have the driveshaft brackets for the tunnel as well (brand new).

What you would need - Haldex, drive shaft, one rear axle, gas tank and pump (most BT guys use trrs so you're welcome), should be able to get all of that for ~$1k.

I am figuring no mech unit with the trans at the moment but we can talk, it will only work properly on Unitronic stg3 engine software so you can swap you mech unit in or swap to Uni or w/e we can work out the final details.

Buy this and I will help code and wire (diagrams etc).

Will the T-case work with a manual trans? What do you want for what you have minus the DSG stuff?

jettaglx91

Go Kart Champion
When you remove the MAF you are primarily relying on the primary O2 sensor then. Since most of us are running more than 22psi, the stock MAP isn't adding much to equation once you remove the MAF. If you log it, it'll show MAF values maxed all the time, which is 365g/s IIRC. So you then have no adjustment for temp, altitude, or anything. The car may run good today, but not tomorrow. Removing the MAF is just dumb IMO. You're better off just leaving the stock housing and not messing with it. Sure it might be ugly, but it works.

Yea I agree with this, removing the maf on a car intended to have one just opens up a can of worms. At that point the ecu doesnt know airflow, just pressure. In theory you could probably figure it out but would take some super genius engineer. Take a look at the mk7 and the issues thats causing for big turbo applications and those ecus are intended to work that way already.

kern417

Go Kart Champion

the car does it automatically. i have been running without my maf plugged in for a while so it's just using a table based on map readings.