GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel spacer thickness.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Does anyone know how thick you can go with wheel spacers on the GTI without needing longer wheel bolts? I’ve had a look around but although there are threads and information about spacers I can’t seem to find the answer, and also what thicknesses front and back would set the stock wheels (ET51) flush with the body? and if longer bolts are needed what size would I need? Thanks.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, it looks like it might be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gtibrad

ZUM DIS
5mm or 6mm; I had 8mm spacers once and needed longer bolts...not much longer, but I did need them. The oem bolts only grabbed about 3 threads.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Ok great, thanks for the info, that kit looks like what I’m after, as I’m in the uk though the shipping and tax would probably double the cost, I’ll have to see if eibach or someone like that make something similar that i can easily source over here.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Would there be any clearance issues using the flush kit mentioned above? For example would the arches need anything doing to them? My other option of course is new wheels with a different offset, but presumably going by the front spacers in the kit my offset could be no lower than ET41 all round right? meaning the rears wouldn’t be as flush! Also are spacers considered to be a sort of “bush fix” “bodge” type of mod? Thanks.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Spacers work, especially if you love the wheels you already have, but ideally just getting wheels with the right width & offset would be the better solution so you don't have to mess around with spacers -- like when doing rotations or some people have vibrations (getting hub & wheel centric spacers solves that problem though)

The flush kits work perfectly. Worst case you just do the fender screw mod.

Are you lowered btw?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Spacers work, especially if you love the wheels you already have, but ideally just getting wheels with the right width & offset would be the better solution so you don't have to mess around with spacers -- like when doing rotations or some people have vibrations (getting hub & wheel centric spacers solves that problem though)

The flush kits work perfectly. Worst case you just do the fender screw mod.

Are you lowered btw?

No not lowered at the moment, I’m considering some Eibach sport lines along with the spacers as I’ve used them before and the ride was great, I like subtle upgrades and don’t want to stray too far from OEM looks really, I like the standard 18’s and might just have them refurbished, so I guess if I do fit springs at the same time as a flush kit I’d have to look at doing the screw mod right? I’ve heard about it before so I’ll look up what’s involved, thanks.

likkleindian

Go Kart Newbie
I have the above kit and yes it flushes perfect. Your ET would be lower in the back because those are 15mm. I am lowered and have no rubbing issues, with no form of fender mod. The reason I had to get spacers was to clear my brakes. At some point I will do it right and get rims but it's hard finding ones I like that are lighter than the Serrons the car came with.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
No not lowered at the moment, I’m considering some Eibach sport lines along with the spacers as I’ve used them before and the ride was great, I like subtle upgrades and don’t want to stray too far from OEM looks really, I like the standard 18’s and might just have them refurbished, so I guess if I do fit springs at the same time as a flush kit I’d have to look at doing the screw mod right? I’ve heard about it before so I’ll look up what’s involved, thanks.

Lower first THEN worry about spacers

But yeah usually those flush kits are right on with the correct spacers needed after lowered.

The fender screw mod is easy:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Lower first THEN worry about spacers

But yeah usually those flush kits are right on with the correct spacers needed after lowered.

The fender screw mod is easy:

That’s a good point! I’ll it lower first then as I guess there could be variations from car to car regarding required spacing, Thanks for posting the video, it confirms what I thought.

Laimface

Ready to race!
You need 1.5x the diameter of the wheel screw of thread engagement. Any less and you're sacrificing strength!