GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Boost fluctuations and hesitation: APR Stage 1

FriggenT1

Banned
That is correct. Similar to what my GIAC dealer says.

Yeah in those RPM ranges it’s fine. I’m guessing because I’m outside the efficiency range of the turbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont keep the exhaust manifold heatshield on my car, so taking the DP loose for me isn't a huge job, but, I would be very interested to see that WG flapper, the pin, etc.

I did a TON of research once I put my wagner IC on and boost went way down. Of course, the f23 was shit, and the WG was junk too...but still is the same problem with a larger IC.

Based on unis measurements of 23.5x2x16.5 = 775 ci, so the internal volume is MUCH larger than the 350 ish of stock. Tuners attempt to compensate for this by upping the WGDC, but as I've said before...mechanically it can only do what it's able.

The rule is that the WGA psi needs to be half of max boost. A 4 psi spring just isn't going to do it. Others with the s3 or stock, etc will say their boost still peaks higher, but the s3 is not a large core IC and all the turbo is doing is spinning hot air coming from a source that's already like a coffee straw vs a normal fountain soda straw, and that air is MUCH hotter than your air coming from your IC. Hot air builds pressure, cooler air is of course more dense, thus heavy, thus can blow the WG open at lesser pressure.

I really do not understand why some tuners just don't get this....really, they don't. I've asked several. Alex @ stratified is the ONLY one who has honestly said even the k04 WGA is maxed at about 22 psi with an efficient set up.

I'm not saying as an absolute that's your problem, the WG could just be failed, the n75 could be bad, etc. I would check that flapper door though. It really might save you a lot of headaches.

Do you know your WGDC as of now?

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
I dont keep the exhaust manifold heatshield on my car, so taking the DP loose for me isn't a huge job, but, I would be very interested to see that WG flapper, the pin, etc.

I did a TON of research once I put my wagner IC on and boost went way down. Of course, the f23 was shit, and the WG was junk too...but still is the same problem with a larger IC.

Based on unis measurements of 23.5x2x16.5 = 775 ci, so the internal volume is MUCH larger than the 350 ish of stock. Tuners attempt to compensate for this by upping the WGDC, but as I've said before...mechanically it can only do what it's able.

The rule is that the WGA psi needs to be half of max boost. A 4 psi spring just isn't going to do it. Others with the s3 or stock, etc will say their boost still peaks higher, but the s3 is not a large core IC and all the turbo is doing is spinning hot air coming from a source that's already like a coffee straw vs a normal fountain soda straw, and that air is MUCH hotter than your air coming from your IC. Hot air builds pressure, cooler air is of course more dense, thus heavy, thus can blow the WG open at lesser pressure.

I really do not understand why some tuners just don't get this....really, they don't. I've asked several. Alex @ stratified is the ONLY one who has honestly said even the k04 WGA is maxed at about 22 psi with an efficient set up.

I'm not saying as an absolute that's your problem, the WG could just be failed, the n75 could be bad, etc. I would check that flapper door though. It really might save you a lot of headaches.

Do you know your WGDC as of now?

Yeah I wish I knew more at the time when I picked the Uni IC. This is my first turbocharged car and it’s all Greek to me at times when it comes to the technical things. Thankfully there are guys like you that take the time to explain it all. Makes much more sense to me now. It definitely helps with my IATs and the car can pull like no other with it on.

Just blows my mind what is actually wrong. I’m going to try and see if I can check it tomorrow. Is it easier to try and check it out under the car or from the top?

It’s crazy how all these tuners can’t answer that question for you. There are so many options out there now that it makes it difficult to pick the right tuner.

I’m not going to take anything apart until I take it back in to the shop. His tach screen and some module is getting replaced on his mustang dyno and is in the process of getting built. He wants to log the N75 to see what the DC is to know if it’s the culprit or not. I trust his work. Has been in the business a long time and knows his shit with these cars.

Also, he has all the files so I’m not sure on the WGDC. I keep trying to get them but every time he says he copies me in when sending to GIAC I never get them.

I was able to do a couple pulls today on an empty road and the car did peak at 20psi and then backed off to 18 psi. So, it can build to peak so I’m assuming that’s a good thing.

FriggenT1

Banned
Yeah I wish I knew more at the time when I picked the Uni IC. This is my first turbocharged car and it’s all Greek to me at times when it comes to the technical things. Thankfully there are guys like you that take the time to explain it all. Makes much more sense to me now. It definitely helps with my IATs and the car can pull like no other with it on.

Just blows my mind what is actually wrong. I’m going to try and see if I can check it tomorrow. Is it easier to try and check it out under the car or from the top?

It’s crazy how all these tuners can’t answer that question for you. There are so many options out there now that it makes it difficult to pick the right tuner.

I’m not going to take anything apart until I take it back in to the shop. His tach screen and some module is getting replaced on his mustang dyno and is in the process of getting built. He wants to log the N75 to see what the DC is to know if it’s the culprit or not. I trust his work. Has been in the business a long time and knows his shit with these cars.

Also, he has all the files so I’m not sure on the WGDC. I keep trying to get them but every time he says he copies me in when sending to GIAC I never get them.

I was able to do a couple pulls today on an empty road and the car did peak at 20psi and then backed off to 18 psi. So, it can build to peak so I’m assuming that’s a good thing.

A lot of guys will try to talk you out of the WG having issues, but don't pay for stuff you don't need. The very simple issue here is a 4 psi spring trying to hold 20 psi is laughable with a large core IC. Peaking 20 and holding 18 imo is good for the stock ihi. Remember, it's not always about how much boost you're running, but are you running it efficiently? That's the question.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
A lot of guys will try to talk you out of the WG having issues, but don't pay for stuff you don't need. The very simple issue here is a 4 psi spring trying to hold 20 psi is laughable with a large core IC. Peaking 20 and holding 18 imo is good for the stock ihi. Remember, it's not always about how much boost you're running, but are you running it efficiently? That's the question.

All good questions for me to have when I take it in next time. I just didn’t know the IC had that effect with the turbo holding boost. Some reason I thought it would make the turbo work less hard being able to have better flow. I knew that volume can cause you not to peak as high. Because mods after the turbo is the TMD, charge pipe, intercooler, hi-flow throttle body pipe, and of course DP.

If it’s the WGA, does that pretty much mean a new turbo?

FriggenT1

Banned
All good questions for me to have when I take it in next time. I just didn’t know the IC had that effect with the turbo holding boost. Some reason I thought it would make the turbo work less hard being able to have better flow. I knew that volume can cause you not to peak as high. Because mods after the turbo is the TMD, charge pipe, intercooler, hi-flow throttle body pipe, and of course DP.

If it’s the WGA, does that pretty much mean a new turbo?

No, you can put a WGA on the ihi...its less than a new turbo, and I know GIAC has files for it because my friend still has the stock turbo 1/4 record and had the forge WGA on it.

Also, the turbo isn't working harder necessarily, rather it's working less hard to achieve the same amount of flow and power. The cooler air allows you to raise boost without the added heat when psi is increased, thus...morepowah!

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
No, you can put a WGA on the ihi...its less than a new turbo, and I know GIAC has files for it because my friend still has the stock turbo 1/4 record and had the forge WGA on it.

If the turbo has to come off I’d rather just go K04 lol. Otherwise at least it can be switched out and good to know with your friends car.

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I was thinking about K04 but why not rock a hybrid turbo if your going to port n polish the k04? DBV2 and Beach Buggy Turbo both make hybrid turbos for our cars that can produce more power than a K04 while keeping the engine internals stock and stock fueling. And they aren't too much more than a brand new k04.

I like the tq that the K04 produces but I want more hp. I want to see something like 380whp and 380wtq rather than 320-330 whp and 400wtq

FriggenT1

Banned
I was thinking about K04 but why not rock a hybrid turbo if your going to port n polish the k04? DBV2 and Beach Buggy Turbo both make hybrid turbos for our cars that can produce more power than a K04 while keeping the engine internals stock and stock fueling. And they aren't too much more than a brand new k04.

I like the tq that the K04 produces but I want more hp. I want to see something like 380whp and 380wtq rather than 320-330 whp and 400wtq

Because a Borg Warner turbo is better made.... we're not talking about TTE turbos here (which are also BW. Also, even when the f23 was putting out good numbers, did you ever see it at on the list of top 1/4 times? K04 or TTE imo. That goes for mabotech as well. I have seen ma my unsatisfactory reviews on his tuning, so I wouldn't trust his turbos.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
If you go k04, get the forge WGA and have the turbo ported and polished

For sure! All the reading I’ve done on this seems like it’s the best way to go for better turbo efficiency.

Seems like SoCal P&P is the way to go? Will they re-spec after the P&P?

FriggenT1

Banned
For sure! All the reading I’ve done on this seems like it’s the best way to go for better turbo efficiency.

Seems like SoCal P&P is the way to go? Will they re-spec after the P&P?

Idk, I did my own. I can get you in contact with a guy that does it all though

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Idk, I did my own. I can get you in contact with a guy that does it all though

Thanks man. I’ll wait and see what comes up. I’m going to check the WGA today after it cools down from running errands. Watched both Humble Mechanic videos so I have a better understanding what I’m looking for.

FriggenT1

Banned
Thanks man. I’ll wait and see what comes up. I’m going to check the WGA today after it cools down from running errands. Watched both Humble Mechanic videos so I have a better understanding what I’m looking for.

Good deal

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
Because a Borg Warner turbo is better made.... we're not talking about TTE turbos here (which are also BW. Also, even when the f23 was putting out good numbers, did you ever see it at on the list of top 1/4 times? K04 or TTE imo. That goes for mabotech as well. I have seen ma my unsatisfactory reviews on his tuning, so I wouldn't trust his turbos.

DBV uses a Mitsubishi MHI core matted to a IHI turbo... it’s a TD06 joined to a stock turbo (internals changed obviously).

I’m not sure what beach buggy turbo uses in terms of the exact turbo but my understanding is that it’s a modified k04.

Either way I’m pretty sure quite a few members here rock their turbos...

F23 is pretty mute at this point. Many people have had issues with it and I’m pretty sure it came to light that it was a Chinese core or something like that

I donno, I’m of the mindset that if I’m gonna swap my turbo out.. I want the max hp/tq that is safe on stock internals and fueling. 330whp just doesn’t cut it for me

FriggenT1

Banned
DBV uses a Mitsubishi MHI core matted to a IHI turbo... it’s a TD06 joined to a stock turbo (internals changed obviously).

I’m not sure what beach buggy turbo uses in terms of the exact turbo but my understanding is that it’s a modified k04.

Either way I’m pretty sure quite a few members here rock their turbos...

F23 is pretty mute at this point. Many people have had issues with it and I’m pretty sure it came to light that it was a Chinese core or something like that

I donno, I’m of the mindset that if I’m gonna swap my turbo out.. I want the max hp/tq that is safe on stock internals and fueling. 330whp just doesn’t cut it for me

The f23 is cheap all around. I've seen the BBT and they look ok, but it's not a BW k04 frame.

Also, Hyde made 350 whp on a p&p k04 on 93 and 375 on meth, so 330 whp is definitely not the ceiling for a p&p k04.

Fastest k04 1/4 ran 11.5 @ 119. GIAC extreme file with race gas. 11.9 @ 115 on 93.