GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis | Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GolfMK6. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GolfMK6 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK6 so we can keep this place running!

Old 07-31-2014, 06:14 AM   #71
Dave1078
FIA GT Champion

Drives: '16 GTI MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrBilstein86 View Post
I know you found his answer, but let me know if you have any further questions regarding the Bilsteins and ride performance.

I ended up with VWR springs and B8s. When I rode in a car with stock dampers, the VWRs felt stiff and the car would also bounce at speed. With the setup I'm running, the ride compliance is great. I'd almost even say I would want stiffer springs, as the dampers seem to handle anything that's thrown at them.
Dave1078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:25 PM   #72
the bruce
Formula 5000 Driver

Drives: Mk.V GTI
Pleased to hear you're happy with your current setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1078 View Post
Would you say that DG springs + B8/Sport dampers would offer superior ride quality on the street over B14 coilovers?
Oh yes, they do.

BBS, Ferodo, H&R, OEM VW + TT, S3 & RS3 parts, aerodynamics
Sachs Performance, Supersprint, SuperPro, Tarox, Whiteline
PICS
the bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #73
VMRWheels
Formula 3000 Driver

Drives: Golf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1078 View Post
I ended up with VWR springs and B8s. When I rode in a car with stock dampers, the VWRs felt stiff and the car would also bounce at speed. With the setup I'm running, the ride compliance is great. I'd almost even say I would want stiffer springs, as the dampers seem to handle anything that's thrown at them.
I see the B8 is of monotube construction. Very good choice!
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:27 PM   #74
coachfoxta
Drag Race Newbie

Drives: CW 2010 GTI
I've got DGs on the way and I'm looking to pair them with OEM shocks. My stock suspension has 61,000 miles though. What should I replace other than the stretch bolts? I want to do this right. Thanks.
coachfoxta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #75
the bruce
Formula 5000 Driver

Thumbs up ÍHLINS VWS MP20

Good news for Mk.VII owners and those considering to go for a Mk.VII:
Íhlins Road & Track is available for Mk.VII GTI and R as well now.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showth...51#post2097251

PICS
Old 01-19-2015, 05:08 PM   #76
Verserk-MK6
Touring Car Champion

Drives: 2011 CSG 4 door AB 6 speed GTI
So i am picking up a set of Bilstien PSS10 next week chances are i wont lower it any more than 1.4 inches since i daily this. So are far as other components to the set up i was going to pick up some Front and rear sways and some adjustable end links.

From what i have read this is a good idea but i in all honesty i cant find any simple answers to me question. Should i or should i not?

Car is driven only 10 miles a day with occasional highway trips once every 2-3 months.
Verserk-MK6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:25 AM   #77
the bruce
Formula 5000 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verserk-MK6 View Post
From what i have read this is a good idea but i in all honesty i cant find any simple answers to me question. Should i or should i not?
Should I what?
Bilstein is a good idea, as are sway bars, TT mounts, TT/S3 bushings,
good summer tires and proper alignment. Sway bar links? Depends on.

PICS
Old 01-20-2015, 03:29 PM   #78
Verserk-MK6
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bruce View Post
Should I what?
Bilstein is a good idea, as are sway bars, TT mounts, TT/S3 bushings,
good summer tires and proper alignment. Sway bar links? Depends on.
Well yah im trying to figure out if i should get the end links or not.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #79
Stinger
FIA GT Newbie

Drives: stick 4d CSG '11 Mk6
I know The Bruce swears by the Powergrid endlinks and I bought them on his advice. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I like them much for a few reasons:
1. they are one more thing to adjust in an already complicated dynamic of rims/wheels/tires/alignment/sway bars/shocks/springs/etc. When something isn't quite right, the endlink shouldn't be part of the possible problem.
2. their adjustment isn't simple. My original set (co. sent me a replacement) snapped after less than 3 months and I still don't know why. I do know that VW charged me $300 to re-install the stock ones. But I did install the replacements that are still on my car.
3. depending on how they are adjusted, they will have a significant effect on drivability and I'm not sure endlinks are supposed to do that (still concerned with the snapped one). I can certainly see their worth on the track, but what't the point of adjusting endlinks on a dd? Once set, they aren't adjusted and so why not stick to the stock endlinks...

Just my viewpoint. And I continue to read and take The Bruce's great advice!
APR Stage 1 (V2.1)::RSR-like clutch::Magnaflow catback::Sigma 6 SS::Bilstein B14 PSS::H&R 26mm fsb, 22mm rsb::Tyrol sub frame kit and front brake stiffener kit::UB UNIbrace::R8 coilpacks::LED taillights::Michelin PSS 235/45 on JNC 17x8 et30::
Audio - Eonon GA5153F::Focal Integration Plug & Play::JL Stealthbox 10TW3::JL XD 700/5 amp
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #80
Verserk-MK6
Touring Car Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
I know The Bruce swears by the Powergrid endlinks and I bought them on his advice. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I like them much for a few reasons:
1. they are one more thing to adjust in an already complicated dynamic of rims/wheels/tires/alignment/sway bars/shocks/springs/etc. When something isn't quite right, the endlink shouldn't be part of the possible problem.
2. their adjustment isn't simple. My original set (co. sent me a replacement) snapped after less than 3 months and I still don't know why. I do know that VW charged me $300 to re-install the stock ones. But I did install the replacements that are still on my car.
3. depending on how they are adjusted, they will have a significant effect on drivability and I'm not sure endlinks are supposed to do that (still concerned with the snapped one). I can certainly see their worth on the track, but what't the point of adjusting endlinks on a dd? Once set, they aren't adjusted and so why not stick to the stock endlinks...

Just my viewpoint. And I continue to read and take The Bruce's great advice!
from what i understand though once you lower your car you create a preload on the sway bar using endlinks meant for a car with stock ride height. Though by getting shorter or adjustable end links you can rid yourself of preload.....preload..hah
Old 01-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #81
nafljhy
FIA GT Champion

Drives: 2011 UG GTI
I don't think I've ever seen Bruce swear by powergrids. I thought that was danzk1?

But Bruce's input on aeroodynamics, suspension, and brakes are so awesome for the community.
nafljhy is offline   Reply With Quote