GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MKVI GTI Reliability!

dallasjetfan

Ready to race!
I have had my mk6 for 3 months and 5k miles. So far so good, but I'm not holding my breath. I didnt buy it because I thought vw's were reliable. This is my fourth gti. They are great cars if you don't mind a few hiccups now and then. If you want reliable, go buy a Jap car. Good luck with your choice.[/QUOTE

Fourth GTI? That's cool, you're an old school loyalist. Here here. I'm going on 5 months in a car I got CPO w/9500 miles on it. No mechanical issues thus far, just a wind noise faulty seal issue on the passenger's side that was fixed at dealer. Annoying seals rubbing on metal sound in driver's side that I believe someone on here may have found a fix too, but a minor gripe nonetheless. I imagine the GTI will be reliable enough and if something goes out on it, thats what the warranty is for. So I have to roll in a loaner for a week. Small trade-off for such a great car.

I am trying to decide between GTI and Acura TL Type S. Reliability is important, but I will only keep for about 3 or 4 years so its not major.

ncelk

14k as of today.

Issues:

Door trim was loose had to be replaced.

Ticking at B pillar.

Random dimming of lights at times.

Steering wheel alignment was off.

Some squeaks and rattles.

That is all.

Love the car............

MechDriver

GTI is made for FUN! Everyone wants reliabilty, but who knows... I've met a few people that say Honda is unreliable, though my experience with the newer Hondas was pretty good. Keep in mind the service schedule for a Honda is every 3750 miles, oil change, minor/major services, they are NOT zero maintance cars as the dealer would have you believe. Some people only do oil change on Hondas and wonder why other things go wrong after a short time. The schedule for GTIs is every 10,000 mi, so I'm willing to bet the actual money spent could be the same if you drive it like a Honda. If you drive the GTI like a sports car, might end up costing more, but at least you are having fun, life is short, who wants a boring car?

Bruno2000

Ready to race!
If u are a car enthusiast like me and a lot more, u can't go wrong with a mk6 Gti. Perhaps, u will have to face the truth eventually with some littles minors problems like everybody, like some rattles and some littles things that can be fix at 99%. The Car doesnt come in a perfect package, its a volkswagen. :D

Reliability about a Gti is all about how much love u will take care of it. If u want a car without any concerns and any problems, the Acura TL is probably a better choice, but on the other side, the Gti has more personality that u will be proud of, take care more easily and smile each time that u drive it. The gti has a soul and has been made around one idea ; driving enjoyment.

If u look at all my mods into my signature, u could easily say that I was willing to pay more that the average joes as I trust the volkswagen product. The car wasnt near perfect the first day I got it but today, I can without a doubt tell u you that the car is almost perfect, rattles free, no bugs, never had any cel or any major troubles. Just a lot a fun on streets and tracks.

The major trouble with it actually is that your girl friend could be jalous if u take care too much of it :)

The car has 20k miles and I want to keep it for around 7-8 years, if not more.

Here a little pic of my beast ;

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion
I am trying to decide between GTI and Acura TL Type S. Reliability is important, but I will only keep for about 3 or 4 years so its not major.

funny, i just replaced my tl with the gti. to keep things fair, there were a lot of convenience features i missed on the acura. straight line power was also more linear and faster in the tl. and most importantly, in the three years i had it, i beat it up and absolutely nothing went wrong.

that being said, so far i prefer the gti. i'm also in my 30's and i can't help but smile whenever i drive it. it's not the fastest car i've had, but it is the most fun. all i did so far was get it tuned, and added a torque mount insert. got new wheels and cat back on the way.

i haven't experienced any inherent reliability issues as of yet. its pretty new. but i've found so far trouble has found me. first week the stock pirelli's gave out on a pothole. i just fixed a rock chip on the windshield and got 4 more yesterday, but i blame myself for having a tailing problem.

i really can't say anything bad about the acura. i'd recommend it to anyone. it just depends if you want comfort and reliability with a splash of fun, or if you want fun with a splash of comfort. not to mention there is a significant price difference. good luck.

Last edited:

McQueen77

Banned
funny, i just replaced my tl with the gti. to keep things fair, there were a lot of convenience features i missed on the acura. straight line power was also more linear and faster in the tl. and most importantly, in the three years i had it, i beat it up and absolutely nothing went wrong.

that being said, so far i prefer the gti. i'm also in my 30's and i can't help but smile whenever i drive it. it's not the fastest car i've had, but it is the most fun. all i did so far was get it tuned, and added a torque mount insert. got new wheels and cat back on the way.

i haven't experienced any inherent reliability issues as of yet. its pretty new. but i've found so far trouble has found me. first week the stock pirelli's gave out on a pothole. i just fixed a rock chip on the windshield and got 4 more yesterday, but i blame myself for having a tailing problem.

i really can't say anything bad about the acura. i'd recommend it to anyone. it just depends if you want comfort and reliability with a splash of fun, or if you want fun with a splash of comfort. not to mention there is a significant price difference. good luck.

uhm.. i didn't originally post this. ive never had any interest in acuras.

dallasjetfan

Ready to race!

Since I would be looking at the 2008 TL-Type S the price is better for the TL. However, I won't have a warranty. Plus, I have a friend at the VW dealership and I don't have to jump through hoops to buy the car. They won' try to sell me extra crap I don't need either. My only real fear is I will get bored with the GTI since I already has an '09 GLI.

TurtleJames

Go Kart Champion

msm00b

Ready to race!
2010 GTI with 18k miles on it (16000+ of which with stage 1 and intake)... no significant problems with the vehicle. Still as much fun to drive it as the day I got it flashed (more fun than when I picked it up brand new).

fredf

Go Kart Champion
I have had my GTI since mid Sept and so far no problems and I really enjoy it.
That said, I don't think any VW will be as reliable as a Honda/Acura.

There are always people who trash Japanese cars, extolling the virtues of 'German engineering'. Then all you hear about is how Germans cannot seem to build a car that runs without squeaks and gremlins.

I find the GTI a lot of fun. I haven't driven an Acura but hear good things about them. I have driven Hondas and I would feel more secure running that for many years than a VW.

In the end, which is more important to you?

Last edited:

mideastbeast61

hey dallasjetfan, which dealership does your friend work at? is it at any of the boardwalk dealerships? im still on the market and all the dealers are not cooperating..