GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S3 IC or SPM

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bronson@APR

What's worse, I'm sure the CTS/Unitronic/Eurojet type intercoolers bring in much more money for their respective companies than APR receives when an APR intercooler leaves the building.

I went to purchase an APR intercooler today for my personal car and almost fell over when I saw our pricing for the intercooler.

A_Bowers

What's worse, I'm sure the CTS/Unitronic/Eurojet type intercoolers bring in much more money for their respective companies than APR receives when an APR intercooler leaves the building.

I went to purchase an APR intercooler today for my personal car and almost fell over when I saw our pricing for the intercooler.

Don't know if that's a a good business tactic......

They are expensive.

I can't say whether or not one is better than the other, because i haven't seen tests run as comparisons between the several different cores.

I don't doubt that APR's core is one of if not the best, as it stands now, there isn't a side by side comparison. On a closed dyno, with a controlled test.

That would be the coup d'état for some people.

The reason I went SPM over APR IS pricing. I saved $500 bucks on my IC which went elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

B

Bronson@APR

It wasn't meant as a business tactic, it was merely 1 enthusiast to another.

If it were a business tactic, I believe the consumer would be more comfortable spending the money on an APR intercooler if they understood we're not getting rich off of it and it cost A LOT of money to produce. It cost more to produce than what the competitors sell there's for at retail and the margins are smaller. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't of ever purchased anything but an APR product, if I can share some insight and give customers some of the information I have now I think it can benefit both the consumer and APR, effectively making it a win/win situation.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Our intercooler costs quite a bit to produce because it's a rather large item, it's not created from cheap lower-tolerance sand castings and doesn't use cheap intercooler cores. Each unit is also fully pressure tested to ensure it's leak proof to a high degree.

Simply put, it's not cheap because it's not cheap.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
who makes them and in what country?

Exhausts "by APR" previously have been shown to be made by Corsa and /or BB. And I agree with Bowers, while the APR unit may in fact be the biggest and best designed, the price is quite high compared to the many other options out there. And even comparing the S3 to the APR, I was hard pressed to say it was worth another $600+.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
If the APR unit was somehow able to be priced at like $850, I think they could easily sell twice as many of them, imho. Its just the $1060 or whatever normal price, and then the $9xx sale price is still quite high. I was shocked to see their cores for older VAG cars are also very expensive.

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
Other intercoolers that "look" like the APR intercooler only look sorta like it. Performance is no where near the same. I'll stand up to that claim any day of the week.

It wasn't meant as a business tactic, it was merely 1 enthusiast to another.

If it were a business tactic, I believe the consumer would be more comfortable spending the money on an APR intercooler if they understood we're not getting rich off of it and it cost A LOT of money to produce. It cost more to produce than what the competitors sell there's for at retail and the margins are smaller. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't of ever purchased anything but an APR product, if I can share some insight and give customers some of the information I have now I think it can benefit both the consumer and APR, effectively making it a win/win situation.

Sounds like you guys have some comparative performance data. Care to share?

jmk0071

Passed Driver's Ed
I am debating which intercooler to get between the S3, SPM, and APR. I am stage 1 and have no intention of going beyond stage 2 if at all. As for usage, I live in Chicago and do NASA TT events in the summer throughout the midwest. Most sessions are 15 to 20 minutes. I'd like to think there will be no appreciable difference between these 3 intercoolers for my purposes but I don't know. Like others, I would love to have some hard data for stage 1 or 2 on track.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I am debating which intercooler to get between the S3, SPM, and APR. I am stage 1 and have no intention of going beyond stage 2 if at all. As for usage, I live in Chicago and do NASA TT events in the summer throughout the midwest. Most sessions are 15 to 20 minutes. I'd like to think there will be no appreciable difference between these 3 intercoolers for my purposes but I don't know. Like others, I would love to have some hard data for stage 1 or 2 on track.

In your case, I'd go SPM. I've tracked with S3 IC, no issues - lots of air coming through, its not like you are in stop and go traffic.

B

Bronson@APR

We are now getting double teamed by apr in these forums? Wtf:thumbdown:

This is getting lame

I won't be a regular, my job isn't sales or marketing. I'm simply Tech at the moment, I'm around if somebody needs my assistance with an APR product or has questions regarding the function of APR products. Majority of the emails I get are from folks on these forums so I figured I'd check around here regularly.

I won't be posting frequently, that's Arin's job and he does it well. I agree it would be getting crowded with 2 APR representatives in one sub section.

jmk0071

Passed Driver's Ed
In your case, I'd go SPM. I've tracked with S3 IC, no issues - lots of air coming through, its not like you are in stop and go traffic.

Just currious...if you had no issues on track with the S3, wouldn't that be a better choice for me since it is lighter? To be honest, the price difference between the two is not a major difference for me. I know I am in the minority on this, but I do think 10 to 20 extra pounds on the nose of the car is a factor on track especially on an already nose heavy car. Isn't the SPM near 30 lbs while the S3 is about 13 lbs?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Just currious...if you had no issues on track with the S3, wouldn't that be a better choice for me since it is lighter? To be honest, the price difference between the two is not a major difference for me. I know I am in the minority on this, but I do think 10 to 20 extra pounds on the nose of the car is a factor on track especially on an already nose heavy car. Isn't the SPM near 30 lbs while the S3 is about 13 lbs?

I do not know on weights for them. Yes, you would be fine / good with the S3 and you can find it for around $300 shipped.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
We are now getting double teamed by apr in these forums? Wtf:thumbdown:

This is getting lame

it's not that big a deal, just offsets the spm fanboism.

just read it and take what's said at face value. there are several options and all work. whether the value is there for a higher priced unit is up to you to decide.

i have an EJ and it fit fine. i'm sure spm fits fine too but i wouldn't go s3 personally. you're not going to experience any benefit with a lighter core if your turbo is heatsoaked. i guess it all depends on how and when you push it but better be safe than sorry imo. also in addition to keeping your turbo more reliable you will see some performance gains across the board.

Avant

Ready to race!
S3 goes on very easy.. from what the people who installed mine told me, lol. ;)

this is one of the best comparison shots I've seen to date, includes (from left to right), APR - S3 - Stock IC:

I do think that SPM, Godspeed, EJ, etc, have great options for around $500ish, and are right in the middle of things.

And here's the GS that went in and my S3 that came out:

Oh man..

Are there any cons to the Godspeed one? For that price and that big of a core. I don't see why anyone wouldn't get their IC..

Status
Not open for further replies.