GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

18x8.5 et45. Rub?

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
I posted this on the A3 forum on vortex but figured I try here also since it's pretty much the same as a golf/gti.

Currently, I am running 15mm spacers with OEM titanium wheels on the A3, which are 18x7.5 et54. This pushes it out to the equivalent of about 18x8 et45. With Neuspeed sports and Koni orange, I get slight rubbing from the rear over large bumps. I'm wondering if 18x8.5 et45 will rub worse, or will the slightly stretched tire compare to being on 7.5 width wheel help with the rubbing? Tires are 225/40/18.

Thanks

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Should be good, almost everyone runs that setup on here (VMR's are typically 18x8.5, ET45) with the 225/40/18 tires

Fender screw mod should get you squared away up front. MIGHT need a slight fender roll, if still rubbing

sniper27

Go Kart Champion
This is for the A3. Front actually doesn't rub now, just the rear. It's rubbing against the fender liner, so not sure what to roll.

CarniifeX

Go Kart Champion
I ran my Miro wheels (18x8.5 on 225/40/18) at 24.5 FTG and I did not run once.

Just roll your front fenders and you should be golden.

I will note, I did run -2.5 camber in the rear when I got my alignment after I put the wheels on. It was a pretty tight fit but as I mentioned, I did not rub. Not even once.

EvoKnvl

Ready to race!
The A3 is at about - 1.7 camber in the rear now and it rubs. Will slight tire stretch help?

Slight stretch might. When I had VMR's, I was running 225s and was running about a -2.5 in the rear as well. That's probably your best bet depending on your ride height.