GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Having to add this much oil????

mparker147

So the oil was changed on January 27th. I know our cars can burn through oil, but I have had to add two quarts this week. Usually I don’t have to add any until right around 4-5000 miles after an oil change. I’m at 125k miles. I don’t see any outward signs of a leak. Thoughts?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
Who did the oil change? Did you check the level after it was done?

thatspsychotic

Ready to race!
So the oil was changed on January 27th. I know our cars can burn through oil, but I have had to add two quarts this week. Usually I don’t have to add any until right around 4-5000 miles after an oil change. I’m at 125k miles. I don’t see any outward signs of a leak. Thoughts?

TIA

Rear main seal is my bet, especially if you're tuned. Keep an eye out for oil spots under the driver's side of the car. The oil comes out between the engine and the transmission, but there would be oil wetness on a bunch of the subframe and oil pan.

I might be a little biased though because my RMS went recently and I'm at 145k miles. I hope I'm wrong for your sake, it's an over $1k job at an independent shop, no idea what a dealer would want for a RMS job.

avni

Ready to race!
im stage 2 and I do oil change every 4-5 miles.

I top my car out once between oil changes.

safe to say these shits BURN OIL

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I do my own oil changes every 5k miles. Haven't needed to add any oil at all between oil changes. I just add a full 5 liters every time and am usually fine. started doing them around 50k miles; got 88k on the clock now.

I've also had my rear main seal replaced when I got my clutch replaced at around 60k miles i think?

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Definitely on the high side. My car burns ~1 quart every 10k miles using Mobil 1 0w40. I've only got 64k miles though.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion

TIA

What oil are you using?

jon570

Ready to race!
^^ What he said. I was using OE Castrol oil and i would burn a quart plus within 5k miles. I switched to Liqui Moly and dont use any in 5k.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
^^ What he said. I was using OE Castrol oil and i would burn a quart plus within 5k miles. I switched to Liqui Moly and dont use any in 5k.

Let me say this, I don't have any oil analysis to prove it, but I've NEVER been a fan of castrol. When you start going up in power on these things, so too does the heat. Castrol totally sucks imo, and to go by dealer specs is insane when the car has been nodded. Over 3k on junk castrol can't be good for the car.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Let me say this, I don't have any oil analysis to prove it, but I've NEVER been a fan of castrol. When you start going up in power on these things, so too does the heat. Castrol totally sucks imo, and to go by dealer specs is insane when the car has been nodded. Over 3k on junk castrol can't be good for the car.
ive always used castrol (5k change intervals) and never had an issue yet. I barely burn a quart in that time frame.

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
ive always used castrol (5k change intervals) and never had an issue yet. I barely burn a quart in that time frame.

Everyone I tell to try rotella says the oil looks much better at any interval than castrol. Mine smelled burnt and had lost it's sickness by 4k. Are you k04 or equivalent?