GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

tips for reinstalling timing chain tensioner inspection plug?

apache

Passed Driver's Ed
Any tips/tricks for preventing leaks (and avoiding bending the timing chain case) when re-inserting the timing chain tensioner inspection port rubber plug?

I've heard the plug is very difficult to remove, which implies it might also be very difficult to reinstall. Especially considering the limited access...

Charles (HumbleMechanic, YouTube) suggests installing a new plug after removing the old one might help prevent oil leaks. Any other tips/tricks?

Last question: are vwpartsvortex diagrams accurate? They seem to indicate that item #14 in this diagram is the correct replacement plug: https://www.vwpartsvortex.com/auto-parts/2014/volkswagen/gti/wolfsburg-edition-trim/2-0l-l4-gas-engine/engine-cat/engine-parts-scat

Thanks in advance.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
be sure to replace with a new plug. think the old one is prone to bending when pulling it out.beyond that.. i'm sure some oil on the new seal helps and a steady hand

DELETE

Autocross Champion
It might be deemed "hard" to remove because of the location but it's not hard to remove and shouldn't damage during the inspection. Just don't damage the cover which isn't going to be easy unless your shrek or something. Just do it.

apache

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the suggestions/advice, riceburner, Tony48, and notovicrious - much appreciated!

I just went by my local VW dealer to pick up a replacement plug and fortunately I'd brought along the vwpartsvortex.com printout with the plug part # because... the parts counter guy (who looks like he's worked there for 30 years) claimed the part didn't exist!

After I showed him the vwpartsvortex.com exploded diagram with the plug part # highlighted, he was then able to pull it up (but he had none in stock). He then asked, "why do you need this, did yours fall out?" I kid you not. So I briefly explained the bad tensioner deal, and inspecting via this plug porthole.

This is a high volume VW dealership, so I'm surprised they've (apparently) never had anyone ask for this plug before.