GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New RCD330 Plus Headunit with Mirrorlink/Carplay

Novski

MK6 GTI owner here, 2010 year model

Originally had an rns510 installed from factory with OEM reverse camera

Upgraded to the rcd330 last year (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Origina...B-Version-B-/182604540077?hash=item2a841428ad) exact one I purchased

Can't seem to get the reverse camera activated, purchased two different reverse camera adapters and still no luck
(https://www.aliexpress.com/item/26-...lgo_pvid=64dd297c-aaaf-4c29-abce-fa6cc76ba9a0)

Anyone able to help me to activate the reverse camera?

Will paypal $$ to anyone that can assist me in sorting it out properly, tired of reading forum posts and ending up at dead ends haha

jasmun88

When you throw the car in reverse does it switch to a camera mode? If not you need a code a bite in vcds to enable the backup camera

Ramses82

Agree. Once the radio is connected on the car, you can program it with the vcds and enable the rear camera. On mine it was the other way around, didn't have a camera and putting on reverse was showing a black screen instead of the car with the sensors. Disabled the camera and everything worked.
You need the adapter and software to connect to the car using a PC

The Red Warrior

MK6 GTI owner here, 2010 year model

Originally had an rns510 installed from factory with OEM reverse camera

Upgraded to the rcd330 last year (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Origina...B-Version-B-/182604540077?hash=item2a841428ad) exact one I purchased

Can't seem to get the reverse camera activated, purchased two different reverse camera adapters and still no luck
(https://www.aliexpress.com/item/26-...lgo_pvid=64dd297c-aaaf-4c29-abce-fa6cc76ba9a0)

Anyone able to help me to activate the reverse camera?

Will paypal $$ to anyone that can assist me in sorting it out properly, tired of reading forum posts and ending up at dead ends haha

I'm assuming you have the highline camera with the bending guidelines since it's a mk6 GTI. If so then this is probably useful:

Ok so I had a quick at this today.
6RD 035 187 B running sw 5314 in a B6 Passat with highline RVC controller.

The issue is that the head unit actually tries to talk to the RVC module, but the RVC has incompatible software and logs a fault saying as much.

So unfortunately the RCD330 will not work with older highline modules.
What needs to happen is the highline module needs to be bypassed, so that the composite video signal from the camera itself is fed straight to the RCD330 video input. No RGBS converters, no highline bending guidelines.

The only other solutions I can think of are:
Replace the highline module with a 7N0 module from an MY16 Tiguan (which I have done in my car connected to my Discover Media). This involves running a new harness from the boot to behind the head unit as the cabling is different.

See if there is a software solution - the RCD330G software would require an update to support older RVC control modules such as the 3C9 907 441. There is no later software for the RVC module than sw 20. This is a pretty long shot but perhaps it has been done.

Here's the link to the complete thread too:

https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/rcd330-oem-camera-connection-121733-2.html

Probably not what you wanted to read but hopefully helpful none the less.

dadjoke

So I’m preparing to upgrade my 187B No Name head unit (6RD035187B 534/5314/C180) with the update that fixes the volume jumps and installs Android Auto. I just had a quick question: say there are errors with my update and I need to downgrade back to the version that I’m currently using. How do I go about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dadjoke

I'm assuming you have the highline camera with the bending guidelines since it's a mk6 GTI. If so then this is probably useful:

Ok so I had a quick at this today.

6RD 035 187 B running sw 5314 in a B6 Passat with highline RVC controller.

The issue is that the head unit actually tries to talk to the RVC module, but the RVC has incompatible software and logs a fault saying as much.

So unfortunately the RCD330 will not work with older highline modules.

What needs to happen is the highline module needs to be bypassed, so that the composite video signal from the camera itself is fed straight to the RCD330 video input. No RGBS converters, no highline bending guidelines.

The only other solutions I can think of are:

Replace the highline module with a 7N0 module from an MY16 Tiguan (which I have done in my car connected to my Discover Media). This involves running a new harness from the boot to behind the head unit as the cabling is different.

See if there is a software solution - the RCD330G software would require an update to support older RVC control modules such as the 3C9 907 441. There is no later software for the RVC module than sw 20. This is a pretty long shot but perhaps it has been done.

Here's the link to the complete thread too:

https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f78/rcd330-oem-camera-connection-121733-2.html

Probably not what you wanted to read but hopefully helpful none the less.

I can also confirm this. My Tiguan’s RVC had the dynamic lines feature, and tried multiple video signal adapters but with no luck. Another Tiguan owner confirmed that, during his research, they had the same issue.

My solution was swapping the OEM camera with a replica, RCA camera. Since then I’ve had no issues with my RCD330 picking up the reverse signal.

andre1990

Anyone else having trouble activating siri from the steering wheel?

I press the magic wand (speaking mic) on the steering wheel and the volumes drop down a level as if its waiting for me to say something, but it never commences siri or processes what i say. Works fine holding the home button on the screen, but would be nice to activate it from the steering wheel if anyone knows how?

The rest of the controls work fine.

bobbybasic

Sounds like it is currently functioning as a mute button? Mine was set-up like that and I had to use VCDS to switch it over to Siri.

andre1990

Sounds like it is currently functioning as a mute button? Mine was set-up like that and I had to use VCDS to switch it over to Siri.

Hi bobby, yes sorta is like a mute, or reduce volume at least. Did you use vagcom to change it? Would be quite pricey for me without one for such a small change

The Red Warrior

Hi bobby, yes sorta is like a mute, or reduce volume at least. Did you use vagcom to change it? Would be quite pricey for me without one for such a small change

Yes, you need VCDS (or something similar). I think it's changed in the steering wheel coding from 'mute' to 'push to talk'.

I see you're in London so you could you the mk5golfgti.co.uk forum to see if there's someone near you with VCDS. Lots of people will do small coding changes for a box of beer. I know I do!:D

Last edited:

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
When playing music from pandora or Spotify using BT only and not plugged into usb, does the display show song name and artist or does that only work when plugged into usb?

My current rns-315 shows song info when playing with BT. Does this still work with the rcd-330 plus?

andrewspearns

When playing music from pandora or Spotify using BT only and not plugged into usb, does the display show song name and artist or does that only work when plugged into usb?

My current rns-315 shows song info when playing with BT. Does this still work with the rcd-330 plus?

Mine shows the song/artist when using BT only, from Pixel 2 XL and Amazon Music app. Haven't tried others though.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
I want to make sure I get the best version of this HU. I think it’s the 187b version right? And the manufacturer is Desay? Does anyone have a link to this unit? Is it better to buy from aliexpress or eBay?