GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My GTI is idling rough. Advice?

twenzel

Ready to race!
Hey folks, need some help. Last night, I was driving normally right after filling up with 93 oct Shell and when I stopped at a light the car stalled. It started right back up and was idling like you see it in the video I've linked. It seems the car drives normal most of the time but I started to get on it it acts up again. Also the exhaust smells like the car is running very rich while the rough idle is present. I've done the throttle body alignment and there are NO CODES present. I am also not blipping the throttle, it is doing that on its own.

Mods:
Carbonio Intake
EuroJet TBE

Any advice is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsrxuJxLAQA

Last edited:

HatchFanatic06

Ready to race!
Are the rpms surging? or were you pressing the gas?

If your rpms are surging and having problems with stalling a potential issue could be your IAC valve is dirty (i had a similar problem on an older car awhile back). Someone posted a similar problem as you and it turned out that his APR stg 2 CAI was disconnected at the rear. Just an idea for you to check.

*correction* I don't believe our cars have an IAC (think that was an ODB1 feature.) To be honest if this is the case i'm not sure what took over its function maybe within the throttle body itself. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable chimes in here.

Last edited:

twenzel

Ready to race!
Are the rpms surging? or were you pressing the gas?

If your rpms are surging and having problems with stalling a potential issue could be your IAC valve. Someone posted a similar problem as you and it turned out that his APR stg 2 CAI was disconnected at the rear. Just an idea for you to check.

The RPMs were surging, I wasnt touching the pedal. Thanks for the quick response. I'll check to make sure all connections on the intake are tight.

kashak

Ready to race!
I had funny idles, turned out to be faulty intake manifold - got it replaced under warranty. Car smelled like catless too. It's a TSB and I suggest you visit your dealership to get it fixed.

HatchFanatic06

Ready to race!
The RPMs were surging, I wasnt touching the pedal. Thanks for the quick response. I'll check to make sure all connections on the intake are tight.

Do you have a scanner? do you know if your throwing a soft code? might be helpful in attempting to find the problem

twenzel

Ready to race!
I have a code scanner built into the P3 Vent gauge. Its not showing any codes..

I just tried starting again and it started but the rough idle is still happening. It sounds like there is also a super high pitch tone coming from the intake manifold as the rpms drop. Almost electronic sounding. It's a bit hard to explain.

ehancock

Ready to race!
Can't watch your video right now, but i've been having rough idle on cold starts for a few weeks, now it turned into severe miss under load and i finally threw a code. One of my coilpacks is failing. Might want to check those out

jmlivid

Go Kart Champion
Is the electric sound a beeping? like random sequence morse code? I only have an intake but when I start it up in the morning it does this soft beeping sound.

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
try taking another vid. this time close the doors so the annoying chime goes away and make sure the video shows your feet is no where near the gas pedal.

save it on your laptop and bring it to the dealership but they're probably gonna claim your p3 boost gauge is the problem :iono:

twenzel

Ready to race!
try taking another vid. this time close the doors so the annoying chime goes away and make sure the video shows your feet is no where near the gas pedal.

save it on your laptop and bring it to the dealership but they're probably gonna claim your p3 boost gauge is the problem :iono:

P3 Boost guage doesnt use a boost tap, it plugs into the OBDII port and reads boost from the ECU. I'll try capturing better video.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
sounds exactly like a vacuum leak...like kashak said the manifold is a possible culprit...there is a flapper in there and if the motor/sensors go bad it would idle with that surging, but go away at a higher rpms

fatty@golfmk6.com

Go Kart Champion
P3 Boost guage doesnt use a boost tap, it plugs into the OBDII port and reads boost from the ECU. I'll try capturing better video.

I know but the dealership will still make the stupid warranty void claim. you'll see :laugh:

2nd part of the video scared the shit out of me. I turned my volume up to hear your car idle while you were switching programs.

Show the video to a dealer before actually bringing it in

twenzel

Ready to race!
the car threw some codes;
P0300 – Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301 – Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0302 – Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0303 – Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0304 – Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected