GOLFMKV

COBB Pro-Tune vrs Unitronic Stage 2 -- DYNO

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Software: COBB Pro-Tune vrs Unitronic Stage 2

Dyno: Mustang AWD dyno, very conservative i.e. “heart breaker”

Vehicle: 2012 VW GTI DSG 46k miles CCTA 2.0 TSI stock IHI turbo

Gas: Shell 93 Octane

Mods: APR carbonio intake, Eurojet 3” catless DP, CTS 3” exhaust, Charge pipe, Throttle pipe, R8 coils, NGK one step colder plugs, 19” BBS CH 235/35/19, H&R suspension

Weather: Dry and in the 70’s, within 5-6 degrees of both dyno runs

REVIEW:
As most of you, I was at a point with modifying my GTI were I was running out of reliable power adders. I always wished I could get a custom ECU tune but until now there just weren’t any viable options. COBB has changed the game in ECU tuning for our platform.

To begin this comparison, we ran the car on an AWD Mustang dyno to see what the Unitronics Stage 2 was putting to the ground. With my car’s current modifications, the Unitronics stage 2 tune put down a respectable 240 whp and 271 wtq. As you can see on the dyno, the Unitronics tune had a refined curve and had very little variation. This was the highest of the three pulls we did, and there was a minimal variance between the three runs.

Having gotten our base line numbers, COBB tuning installed their AccessPort. It is a rapid process that is minimally invasive, and they uploaded the new tune directly through the OBDII port. COBB also installed their Big SF Intake System (See my COBB intake review). Then it was back to the dyno for the Pro-Tune. A COBB professional tuner sits in the car on the dyno, and fine tunes their software to make the most power for your car. This is very important, because we all have different modifications installed on our cars. He starts with a base line, and then he modifies boost, timing, and fuel. The process took just a couple hours and the results were staggering! As you can see on the dyno chart the COBB Pro-Tune is equally as refined and made 257 whp and 320 wtq!!

THE DRIVE:
I noticed an immediate difference in tone the first time I started the car. I made my way out onto the highway to test the performance while getting up to highway speeds. As traffic cleared, it was time to drop the throttle and see real world results. The acceleration was striking! Unlike some other tunes on the market, there weren't any issues with the DSG in manual mode; the shifts were also lightning fast. I clicked down a gear and sailed past triple digits. Before I knew it, the other cars just became a blur! I got back down to a safe and respectable speed (the car did not skip a beat) and was still getting 32mpg! The DSG “brap” was even louder, and I found myself shifting more just to enjoy it!

AccessPort:
This interface is amazing and I will cover the AccessPort in a separate in detail review. I just had to get the Pro-Tune review out. I am just so impressed with the ability to pull so much power over the Off The Shelf (OTS) options we have all be using for years.

[/url]Dyno Uni Cobb by Walkert., on Flickr[/IMG]

VIDEO

Last edited:

OhioMK6

Ready to race!
Those numbers are huge for a Mustang Dyno. Hmmm, those are good numbers.

How much did the pro tune cost you?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
looks pretty good to me. Did they do a base line dyno of the OTS stage 2 tune? would be interested in what they were able to put up over their own OTS tune.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Inb4naysayers

If this is not proof of the Cobb's advantages I don't know what is. Those are great numbers to make on a Mustang. Did you have the numbers for the Cobb OTS tune to compare?

TRBO FRK

Ready to race!
This is pretty impressive. I have ran the access-port in my Subaru's since they came out back in the early 2000's and they always have done a great job.

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Here is their OTS stg 2

[/url]graph by Walkert., on Flickr[/IMG]

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
so the OTS stage 2 tune made more than OTS unitronic stage 2 tune. So the main thing the pro-tune did was add about 30ftlbs to the wheel and drive-ability as you have attested to it being super smooth.

I'm impressed

Numbers seem spot on.

My Unitronics stage2 (similar mods). put down 260hp and 290tq on a Dynojet.

JS12

Ready to race!
This is a great review, thanks! I'll likely go the same route once I get to Stage 2 considering I work 5 minutes from that same COBB location.