GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleaning out Carbonio air filter

somerset91

Ready to race!
Hi. I have a APR Carbonio intake and thinking of cleaning the filter...should have done it before I got it installed but here we are.

What is the easiest way to get the filter out? I've removed my bumper a couple times so if it comes to that I'll just have to take an additional 30 minutes or so, but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Squashdaddy

Go Kart Champion
I remove the closest hose clamp on the coupler, then remove the two screws that hold the intake to the front of the car. Slide/push the coupler off of the pipe and the body and pipe should come right out. Remove the 4 screws on the back of the body and pull the filter out. Hope that all makes sense.

somerset91

Ready to race!
I remove the closest hose clamp on the coupler, then remove the two screws that hold the intake to the front of the car. Slide/push the coupler off of the pipe and the body and pipe should come right out. Remove the 4 screws on the back of the body and pull the filter out. Hope that all makes sense.

The 2.5 and the TSI use different intakes. The CAI for the 2.5 has the filter right in front of the driver's wheelwell. Cannot be accessed directly from opening the bonnet.

erichorn10

I usually jack up the drivers side front and either remove the wheel or just crank it all the way to the passenger side. Remove the front piece of the wheel well liner and the filter is right there. If there's an easier way I'd also love to know, but this is how I have been doing it.

somerset91

Ready to race!
I usually jack up the drivers side front and either remove the wheel or just crank it all the way to the passenger side. Remove the front piece of the wheel well liner and the filter is right there. If there's an easier way I'd also love to know, but this is how I have been doing it.

If I can just remove the front wheel well liner without jacking it up, it doesn't seem too bad. I'll try that first and then start jacking things up or removing the bumper as it becomes necessary.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Couldn't you just remove the belly pan (which is easy) and then reach up & access it from underneath?

somerset91

Ready to race!
Couldn't you just remove the belly pan (which is easy) and then reach up & access it from underneath?

Need some vertical room to loosen the hose clamp.
I just ended up removing the bumper. Done it a few times,s o it's just going through the motions for me. I just hope I don't lose any more screws :laugh: