GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Subframe Mount Strength

GTI Mike

Hey guys. First time poster, long time lurker here.

I'm planning on upgrading the engine, transmission, and pendulum mounts for my car. If I go stage 2 and go without a torque arm insert, how likely are the subframe mounts likely to hold up? I'm worried the upgraded mounts will put additional strain on the point of least resistance which would be the subframe mounts.

I'm trying to avoid putting a torque arm insert in because of the increased NVH that DSG owners get from it.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
just put a billet 034 dogbone insert in. It will stiffen the subframe mount up easily slides in and only cost like $35

It also doesn't really give NVH. I have it and i maybe notice a tiny bit of shutter when just getting going... nothing with AC on and nothing in reverse etc.

tofuD01

Ready to race!
The 034 dogbone insert added alot more idle vibration but mainly noticeable in reverse.

But at speed there's no difference but when gears are changed, it is a bit more responsive.

Corradoluvher

Ready to race!
I noticed a lot of NVH after i installed the 034 pendulum mount and bilet insert. I had the 034 street density engine and transmission mount before i did it. And to me the car feels like its going to stall in 1st gear every time but it doesnt. Its caused by the 034 pendulum mount and bilet insert. I dont mind it. It only feels that way below 1200 rpms in 1st gear. But the car feels great with all the mounts on.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I noticed a lot of NVH after i installed the 034 pendulum mount and bilet insert. I had the 034 street density engine and transmission mount before i did it. And to me the car feels like its going to stall in 1st gear every time but it doesnt. Its caused by the 034 pendulum mount and bilet insert. I dont mind it. It only feels that way below 1200 rpms in 1st gear. But the car feels great with all the mounts on.
yeahh i would use the the insert with the APR mount. I honestly think the APR pendulum mount is the best out there.

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys. First time poster, long time lurker here.

I'm planning on upgrading the engine, transmission, and pendulum mounts for my car. If I go stage 2 and go without a torque arm insert, how likely are the subframe mounts likely to hold up? I'm worried the upgraded mounts will put additional strain on the point of least resistance which would be the subframe mounts.

I'm trying to avoid putting a torque arm insert in because of the increased NVH that DSG owners get from it.

What engine and trans mounts are you going with? That'll play a big factor on NVH as well. Inserts help but you will still notice some slop. It takes out a lot don't get me wrong, but depending on your budget a full subframe mount replacement will do wonders. I went with the VWR subframe mount and the vibrations aren't any worse than a poly or billet insert and the shifting with a DSG is crisp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI Mike

What engine and trans mounts are you going with? That'll play a big factor on NVH as well. Inserts help but you will still notice some slop. It takes out a lot don't get me wrong, but depending on your budget a full subframe mount replacement will do wonders. I went with the VWR subframe mount and the vibrations aren't any worse than a poly or billet insert and the shifting with a DSG is crisp.

I'm going with the 034 street density mounts and the 034 pendulum mount. I've looked into the VWR mounts and HPA puck, but I'd like a less permanent solution for when I sell the car years later.

So far it looks like the 034 billet insert might be worth trying out. I've just been hesitant on getting it since it seems to be the cause of OEM mounts snapping. I assume 034's pendulum won't do the same, hopefully.

Has anyone had any experience with Autotech's insert?

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
I'm going with the 034 street density mounts and the 034 pendulum mount. I've looked into the VWR mounts and HPA puck, but I'd like a less permanent solution for when I sell the car years later.

So far it looks like the 034 billet insert might be worth trying out. I've just been hesitant on getting it since it seems to be the cause of OEM mounts snapping. I assume 034's pendulum won't do the same, hopefully.

Has anyone had any experience with Autotech's insert?
The OEM mount is cast if im not mistaken which is where the weakness lies. Any aftermarket mount should be able fine. I personally am going with the APR one because it allows the mount to rotate in a different direction then the others to try to avoid sheering the transmission case bolt. Lol i we all my be looking to far into this but ya know.

JT641

Banned
I started out with an HPA 75 durometer mount and got much less NVH than the 034 one I tried, I'm currently running the above with SPM engine and trans mounts and will be switching to BSH engine and trans mounts and upgrading to an 80 durometer subframe mount from HPA on Friday since my SPM mounts are failing

GreyGti1990

Ready to race!
I don't think you need to worry about the stock mounts failing from just upgrading some of the mounts and not the others.

I had the VWR upper and lower subframe mounts installed first then almost a year later I did the engine/tranny mounts and in probably another year i'll be doing the pendulum mount.

But the combo I like and will be going with are the 034 street density engine and transmission mounts, the VWR subframe mounts, and the APR pendulum mount. love the 034 mounts and the VWR right now. the engine/tranny mounts are real easy to install yourself.

oracle462

I don't think you need to worry about the stock mounts failing from just upgrading some of the mounts and not the others.

I had the VWR upper and lower subframe mounts installed first then almost a year later I did the engine/tranny mounts and in probably another year i'll be doing the pendulum mount.

But the combo I like and will be going with are the 034 street density engine and transmission mounts, the VWR subframe mounts, and the APR pendulum mount. love the 034 mounts and the VWR right now. the engine/tranny mounts are real easy to install yourself.

How's the vibrations with the VWR and 034 street?

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion

A good amount of people have broken the OEM pendulum mount when using the 034 insert.