GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bump-stop for H&R Sport Cut Kit

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
So I got this kit for my car as a Christmas gift, and in the box it does not say anything for bumpstop modification for MKVI's. I tried to call H&R today and they are closed until the 2nd for the holidays. So I know a few have definitely used this kit, so I was just wondering if yall left them stock or did end up trimming them a bit. Thanks

kurupt_hawaiian

Ready to race!
I only have sport springs...but I trimmed my stock bump stops... There's a paper in there that says to trim the front...

quality_sound

hmm.......
If the bump stops need to be cut the instructions will say it. Neuspeed springs actually need them in and full length as they count toward the overall spring rate. Yes the car will sit lower without them or with them cut but if you cut them and they're not supposed to be the spring rate will be too low.

QuitersLOSE14

Ready to race!
Interesting replies here, thanks. Also to reply #3, I do have the paper but as stated above it is only showing info up to MKIV's

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
If the bump stops need to be cut the instructions will say it. Neuspeed springs actually need them in and full length as they count toward the overall spring rate. Yes the car will sit lower without them or with them cut but if you cut them and they're not supposed to be the spring rate will be too low.

Wrong.

No car should sit on bump stops permanently. If cutting bump stops
affects ride height there's something wrong.

Neuspeed will never count the BS into the main spring's spring rate.

Bump stop are about 10 to 20 times stiffer than the main springs and
seriously progressive. Not a pleasure to ride on them.

kurupt_hawaiian

Ready to race!
Interesting replies here, thanks. Also to reply #3, I do have the paper but as stated above it is only showing info up to MKIV's

Weird...cause mine showed up to mkvi

kurupt_hawaiian

Ready to race!

quality_sound

hmm.......
Wrong.

Then argue with Neuspeed about it. There's a reason some aftermarket springs have lower rates that OEM. I don't agree with doing it this way but I don't own Neuspeed. I'm simply passing along the info they have me so again, if you have a problem with that, argue with them.

2010GTI4me

Go Kart Champion
I don't think you will have to cut them at all... I had the cup kit installed on my previous GTI and didn't cut mine.

quality_sound

hmm.......
Yeah, that's it. I misheard them. I must have misread the test that Dick Shine did that showed their spring rates lower than OEM too. :rolleyes:

AnthonyNTC31

Passed Driver's Ed
Wrong.

ehh......not true for alot of modern cars. from H&R themselves:

http://www.hrsprings.com/technical/micro_cellular_jounce_bumper

the micro-cellular progressive jounce bumper, or simply put, the foamy bumpstop, is actually a supplemental spring. It works to make the suspension progressive, allowing a smooth transition to full compression. What most people don't realize is that the foamy bumpstop is an active part of the suspension. Let's say you're sitting in your M3, 996, Accord, Golf, S4, or Civic. (Hmm I can't decide). They all use the foamy. Ok, you're in your brand new Integra, just drove it off the showroom floor and are sitting at the stoplight waiting for the green. The foamy is actively engaged even while waiting at the stoplight.

Car manufacturers use this brilliant piece of high-tech engineering for many reasons. By using an almost zero-weight supplemental spring