GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I have to make a choice

gotti1

Ready to race!
From the first day I have had my GTI it has been kept in the garage. But I recently moved into an apartment in Oak Park Illinois and can no longer keep my car in a garage. I recently got a new job in downtown Chicago and commute via train. I can either park my car on the street and risk it getting dented and dinged or I can leave it in the driveway at my parents house for the winter. I would probably make the trip to my parents every two weeks or so in order to drive the car so I don't have any problems with it. My question is if I leave the car at my parents should I put a cover on it and are there any possible problems that can arise from having the car sit untouched two weeks at a time?

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
VWs have a 10yr rust free warranty. A car sitting for that length of time might as well be covered though. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jekyll991

Ready to race!
Two weeks at a time should be no big deal at all. The battery shouldn't even drain that quickly. Only problem with the car cover is taking it on/off several times can leave fine scratches all over, so you might be better off without it - my vote would be put a nice coat of wax or sealant to protect it from the sun and maybe put some shades in the windows to keep the interior from fading or anything.

OverTimer1

Go Kart Champion
Two weeks at a time should be no big deal at all. The battery shouldn't even drain that quickly. Only problem with the car cover is taking it on/off several times can leave fine scratches all over, so you might be better off without it - my vote would be put a nice coat of wax or sealant to protect it from the sun and maybe put some shades in the windows to keep the interior from fading or anything.

You won't get any scratches if you use a good cover

http://www.calcarcover.com

gotti1

Ready to race!
Thank you both for the replies. I will definitely have to invest in a good car cover. I didn't even think about the interior fading thanks for bringing that up!

Cannon03

Ready to race!
my vote is for a good cover. I would give it a good detail just in case you get some dust under the cover

SirFlux

Passed Driver's Ed
I would definitely purchase a car cover for this situation.

So, you'll be seeing the car every 2 weeks? You say that now. Two weeks will turn into 10 days. Then 10 days will seem like an eternity and you will see it every week. Next thing you know - that fancy city job will be a thing of the past and you will be back in the 'burbs due to "personal reasons". I've had my GTI since July and I have yet to go 2 days without driving it. Good luck my friend, driving this car is an addiction.

Techmonkey

Ready to race!
Oak Park is a nice neighborhood, but has a high crime rate due to the neighboring communities. Just leaving it parked on the street for a week or two at a time might not be a problem, but a car left out for weeks at a time with a cover on it might attract unwanted attention and make for a target.