GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Center console rattle from exhaust..

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
I always had some rattle from the center console area since I got a non-resonated downpipe..

When I added a fully resonated catback, that vibration got really bad...between 2k-3k rpm I can hear the rattle and feel the vibration in the center console area..

Anyone faces this before and was able to fix it?

PS no this is not the infamous wastegate rattle, I run a BW K04.

Thanks

///Audience

Ready to race!
The button on my ebrake handle vibrates and it sounds like loose change in the cup holder. Very annoying

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
I have that in my armrest, at certain RPMs something just vibrates at the right resonant frequency. I learned to live with it, wasn't worth tearing it apart.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
The button on my ebrake handle vibrates and it sounds like loose change in the cup holder. Very annoying

Oh mine is a lot worse than that lol

I have that in my armrest, at certain RPMs something just vibrates at the right resonant frequency. I learned to live with it, wasn't worth tearing it apart.

I have done that before, so a bit comfortable with it...what if I tear it down..what would I do? drive without it and see what happens?

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
It is a GTI with an aftermarket exhaust on it. If it didn't rattle there would be a problem.

POPSMK61

Ready to race!
Try raising up the armrest couple of clicks. Don't leave it all the way down. Mine went away.

dustinouch

Go Kart Champion
Unless it's really bad just leave it.

Otherwise wrap anything that you think would come in contact with a hard surface with this:
http://www.amazon.com/Tesa-Black-High-Harness-Mercedes/dp/B00EH6IZ6Y

Or this Dynmat or something similar:

You might need to shim the joints on the armrest. The downside the sound deadening will make your car heavier and once you take this stuff apart its not as tight as it used to be. More rattles. This stuff will drive you nuts.

Or just live with it.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
^^^
Dampening material doesn't work. I even applied some on the armrest lid and it still rattles some times.

///Audience

Ready to race!
^^^
Dampening material doesn't work. I even applied some on the armrest lid and it still rattles some times.

Sure it does. If used correctly.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Mine rattles constantly in the hinge area somewhere when it is cold. I've been driving around with it open lately. I kinda wish I could just ditch it for the golf style open setup. I don't put anything in there anyways.

--Matt

Last edited:

frank5o

Passed Driver's Ed
Make sure the down pipe mounts/hangers that attach on the front sub frame are centered into the rubber receiver portion.

My down pipe was not centered, and would touch the aluminum sub frame causing a horrible metal on metal vibration that resonated through the center console. More so the shifter area.

I had to bend the hangers on my down pipe to center them which eliminated the problem.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
Well, if it is coming from the hinge mechanism like it is on mine, there's little dynamat is going to do.

--Matt