GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Test drove a Scion FR-S today

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Scion version? yes.

BRZ.. no. They have all that shit, sans the sunroof.

But seriously.. who gives a fuck?? BECAUSERACECAR.

Have you ever driven an Elise? and do you know how much they go for?

GeorgiaBII

Drag Race Newbie
eh different strokes different folks.

I just don't think the value is there. Unless that car gains an extra 100 hp and 150ft/lb torque with the turbo.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
value?

what other car weighs as little, handles as well, is RWD, turbo from the factory, and is in that price range? Only thing even close is a Genesis Coupe.

E-Rocko

Ready to race!
Agreed. If they come out with a turbo version or the FRS, or an STI version of the BRZ, it would be pretty awesome. The car is purpose built for sport, versus most of the sporty market, that's made up of suped up economy cars (including our GOLF gti's). For the same money, it would run rings around an Autobahn GTI, then you could chip it for more.

canuckcharlie

Ready to race!
As a track car or if u live near a lot of twisties FRS/BRZ is great.

As a daily driver in the US with mostly straight roads, GTI or any other hot hatch makes more sense

BlueDubbinTDI

Go Kart Champion
I can almost promise you the 2015-2016 mid cycle refresh will get a serious power upgrade to keep sales up. They're doing that with the tC's exterior next year just so the FR-S doesn't outsell it. It's a quality car for the money. Interiors and comfort are German. Reliable cars you can trash on the cheap are Japanese. Japanese cars can also get JDM'd up the ass for half the price as APR and the like. You choose which route suits you. I'm pretty sure the FR-S/BRZ will be the next Z of the Jap car scene though. Shits gunna get real.

tmacmact

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm sort on the opposite boat. I currently own a BRZ and test drive some GTI's today. The low end torque of the TSI motor is pretty addicting.

tmacmact

Passed Driver's Ed
The BRZ is a great car to drive and it's a certain kind of fun. People looking for straight line speed will be disappointed. I know people say it doesn't need more power, but it does. Not much, probably another 30-50hp.

kern417

Go Kart Champion
i thought they said they wouldn't release a turbo fr-s. they have kits for it though. but subaru said they wanted to keep a solid separation between the br-z and sti.

have you guys seen the stripped down version they sell in japan? no radio, steel wheels, basically just the shell of the car and engine. now THAT is purpose built. but i don't care about flat handling and tight corners if i can't get enough of the acceleration feeling going through the turn.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
i thought they said they wouldn't release a turbo fr-s. they have kits for it though. but subaru said they wanted to keep a solid separation between the br-z and sti.

have you guys seen the stripped down version they sell in japan? no radio, steel wheels, basically just the shell of the car and engine. now THAT is purpose built. but i don't care about flat handling and tight corners if i can't get enough of the acceleration feeling going through the turn.

purpose built - nice.

Turbo / no turbo / turbo (from the forester XT) / no turbo - indeed, it keeps going back and forth. Either way, power will be bumped, its just a matter of how and how much, but it is coming. And if its N/A from the factory, I'd either go Scion turbo from the factory or have one installed and party on from there. With extra hp and some proper tires, these things should be beastly.

The BRZ is a great car to drive and it's a certain kind of fun. People looking for straight line speed will be disappointed. I know people say it doesn't need more power, but it does. Not much, probably another 30-50hp.

Correct, the N/A only (no turbo) rumors say the car will have exactly that - 30-50more hp on tap.

SmokeyGTI

Ready to race!
Actually yes I think so. For that 30k you won't get any creature comforts.

No nav
No sunroof
no Leather

And it rides ROUGH. The fit and finish is sub par too.

I drove one at the NE auto show this past winter. It is definitely small, with a raspy engine and it does ride pretty rough. And although the interior isn't quite up to the GTI's by comparison, I wouldn't quite call it "sub-par". The GTI's is tough to beat and a notch above most any other car in its price range.

Sent from my Sprint iPhone using Tapatalk

Pmanpop

Go Kart Champion
I dont think the power figures are low. The motor is just boring. Add a f22c and viola, its a totally different car with 40 more horsepower. Ill be waiting here saving up my little pennies for something along those lines to come out.