GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Almost Traded my MK6 for an RS today

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Yes those factors you mentioned are subjective. The R is part time AWD not full time. The Haldex system isn't the greatest AWD, especially for track use.

The fact that the R is built in Germany? My MK6 is built in Germany, its not perfect I have had issues, so I doubt the Mexico built cars are much better or worse.

The R is nice, but honestly folks, new for new a MK7 GTI SPort would be the best option to me IF I wanted to get a new VW. The R, though quicker in some regards for the most part, isn't the best buy. Too many others available in the same price point.

The R does have a nice interior, yes but I dont care about that, I want a good platform to build from with as little issues as possible. I was spoiled in the Evo world I guess. Never had any issues at all. Nothing mechanical anyway. Apples to oranges though in comparison IMO.

My GTI is my first German car. There is one other in the family a 1960 Bug Convertible that has been in the family for over 50+ years. Ironically that 60 bug has been in the shop less than my car has been:thumbup:

Things are different now of course, I am just saying, I love the GTI for what it is, a very nice car with good performance, good build quality and decent MPG's. It may be a great car modded, or my worst nightmare modded :23: and I guess that is the risk, or chance you take with any build. I know this.

You guys are just braver than I am, or just love the brand more than I do? Or just love your car more than I do? Not sure. I am just not doing anything till I decide.

I have put like 500 miles on my GTI in the last 10 months. It just sits. What a shame :yikes:

Jeff

Except you are in a better position than a higher percentage on this forum that probably do not have their car paid off and are modding it. The risk is greater where an unexpected repair might arise along with that monthly payment that is always expected to fly.

Having it paid off gives you a tad more freedom with the money to take some more chances/risks with modding. Where before you might be dropping $500 a month for the monthly payment, now you might drop $500 or less one month on an unexpected repair that came up.

I'll tell you, if you are coming from Evo world, you won't get the same power feeling really going Stg1 or 2 even, you will require a K04. If you aren't looking for just nutty power, Stg1 or 2 might be enough to quench your thirst. I had APR Stage 1 for a bit more than a year with absolutely no additional hardware... not even an intake. I was happy with it.

Then APR goes an releases new files that increase the torque over 300 even with Stage1 but requires the intake. I'm like, well crap, if the intake is in, I only need a DP and I can switch to the Stg2 file which also had an impressive boost, with the torque nearly up to 350. I think Stg2 was the ultimately the last straw of what my stock turbo was able to handle and here I am with a shot turbo and K04, but the year that I had Stg2 prior to the turbo going, it was fun. Definitely enjoyable on the highway. Just don't get an overly loud exhaust because it isn't worth that type of attention. Your just about in the high 13s with Stg2.

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Dude go get your gti and run a golf R off the line and tell me which one is better. Go try to accelerate in wet conditions and let me know if that "part time" awd is gonna help. They also have Haldex controllers.

If I'm paying $40,000 for a German brand I want it built in Germany. Nuff said.

Once again is38 turbo you know what that is?

I don't live on a track and I'm sure you don't either. I need a good over all car and the golf R is just that, fast and with grip. I got a gti heavily modded and I can tell you that.

It's obvious that you made up your mind already. So why keep going with this?

Please tell me others in price point that have a superior transmission like the DSG? That will shift faster than you and hold more power than a manual stock!

Buy an old WRX as a track only car and that's it.

We not braver we just know what we got and what it can and can't do. We know the brand better than you and that's obvious. this is not my first VW and it won't be my last.

Both my mk5 and mk6 have barley been in the shop. And when they have it's been for minor issues. And my shop is very friendly and they make sure I'm happy with the work.

As to you saying the golf R is not the "best buy" that's subjective. To me it's an amazing buy with a DSG and AWD and is38 and better brakes from factory is perfect. I drive my car on the streets about 98% of the time. The rest on the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right in the $40k arena the Golf R is pretty sweet. The AWD system on the R would be good enough but my problem is, I wont buy an R and track it. Thats the problem? Its "too nice" of a car. Does that make sense? If you buy a used Evo 8/9/10 or something of the like, it is just better suited for track duty and can be had used for WWAAYY less than $40k.

I dont live on the track, and dont want to give the impression that I do. The problem is after going through so many experiences good and bad over the years and seeing first hand other peoples failures you see what works, and what doesn't. You guys see the GTI in a different light than I do. While a modded GTI may be fun on the track, especially a K04 equipped car, there are issues. I have been following a page on here about tracked GTI's with K04's having over heating issues. High Oil Temps, Coolant Temps, DSG temps, which require much more involvement to fix. Again, I dont live on the track, but since I have other cars to drive, the GTI if modded probably would only see the track, well driving to and from included. I have driven my GTI like 500 miles in six months time. Since I hurt my back its just hard for me to get in and out of it. So if I do "track" it, that is what it would primarily be used for. If that makes sense?

Does this mean I want some monster track build? No, why? because there are too many issues. I am thinking of selling and just getting a used car as mentioned, not a Subaru though, I dont know much about them really. I mean I have done work on them, helped guys out at the track, helped pull EJ's out of the engine bay and such, but I have personally never taken one a part as I have with the 4G63. So i may just sell and look for a used Evo. Keep that in the garage as a track only car instead.

Probelm is, finding an Evo that isn't all F*d up by some kid driving it. That is the hard part and pristine versions of the 9 are going for almost what a new R would cost. Too expensive so when in doubt I do nothing and I am sitting on the idea.

I just came here to get opinions, and to see what you guys have to say, and though I know this board is Biased, as it should its a VW GTI forum, you also know these cars better than anyone since you drive one.

So for that, I appreciate the input, and your advice. Its always appreciated.

Jeff

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
If he's had the car for 5 years and has not done it I think he's not gonna keep it or happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly on the fence. I think my car to a private party should net $15-$16k as is. If I sell, and can find a used Evo 9 in decent shape, I would not have to invest much more and have a much better platform to build on.

Easier said than done though, that is for sure.

I am on the fence, and in no hurry. My GTI is just sitting in the garage its not going anywhere.

Jeff

Jeffs2013GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Except you are in a better position than a higher percentage on this forum that probably do not have their car paid off and are modding it. The risk is greater where an unexpected repair might arise along with that monthly payment that is always expected to fly.

Having it paid off gives you a tad more freedom with the money to take some more chances/risks with modding. Where before you might be dropping $500 a month for the monthly payment, now you might drop $500 or less one month on an unexpected repair that came up.

I'll tell you, if you are coming from Evo world, you won't get the same power feeling really going Stg1 or 2 even, you will require a K04. If you aren't looking for just nutty power, Stg1 or 2 might be enough to quench your thirst. I had APR Stage 1 for a bit more than a year with absolutely no additional hardware... not even an intake. I was happy with it.

Then APR goes an releases new files that increase the torque over 300 even with Stage1 but requires the intake. I'm like, well crap, if the intake is in, I only need a DP and I can switch to the Stg2 file which also had an impressive boost, with the torque nearly up to 350. I think Stg2 was the ultimately the last straw of what my stock turbo was able to handle and here I am with a shot turbo and K04, but the year that I had Stg2 prior to the turbo going, it was fun. Definitely enjoyable on the highway. Just don't get an overly loud exhaust because it isn't worth that type of attention. Your just about in the high 13s with Stg2.

I like the Unitronic stuff. I like being able to do things myself, though since I hurt my back, I cant turn wrenches like I used to. I realize APR does net higher gains, but Unitronic just has a more DIY type of tuning and I like that. If I do pull the trigger, it will probably be for Stage II with a Downpipe I will even keep the OEM air box but drop in an AEM filter in it. Then put on a unitronic I/C and call it a day. Figure that wouldn't cost too much and would net the most reliable long term power on street and part time track. Then could invest in some suspension work, like coil overs and such. I am just thinking to do this? Or sell and get a used Evo for track use primarily, because a stock Evo 8/9/10 would be better on track overall than even a slightly modified GTI. Or even a mildly modified one. Especially if they have cooling issues on track modded.

Thanks for your posts, appreciate your input and understanding..

Jeff

Last edited: