GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Tired of my car being underestimated..

ghotch

MKVI Owner
Lmao looks like i am not alone then :p

That mazda is a beast lol...but it's a hatchback, so it's a GTI eh..

Might pick up a catback just for that reason...looking for something 3" and not crazy loud..

Magnaflow CBE is sweet....not too loud, not too soft.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
F everyone else and their sheep mentality. This is one of the best cars I have driven. It's practical and HELLA fun. And it's plenty fast. 6.1 sec 0-60 with only an intake and exhaust! I use to car what people thought and that led me to sell the r32, the most fun you can have with your pants on. Yes, my car looks like a toy but this toy has got some potential.

They sure are great cars, don't get my thread the wrong way...i love the car, nothing in it's price range can touch it's balance, i am putting money in it and will be driving it for quiet awhile!

Halvie

WOOSA
Kinda glad actually. Haven't had anyone try to "race" me on the street since I went stage 2. I just get people laughing at it... :( Rather have the laughs than every idiot trying to race me.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
idk i havent gotten any laughs. most of the time i turn my head and see people staring at it. im not out to race so it doesnt matter what a camero or stang owner things of me.

McQueen77

Banned
anyone that worries about other people thinking their car is slow is young, whether it be in age or mindset.

beat me to it. not that usernames should elude to much about a person, but how old can a guy be with a name like heartcoreboy?

GTITX1

Ready to race!
The problem really is caring what people think in the first place. If you want people to perceive you as driving a fast car, or driving a wealthy persons car, then buy a mercedes, or a bmw, or a mustang, or whatever. If you enjoy being in the "gti club" then drive your gti and be happy. I personally could have bought way faster, or considered more prestigious cars if I wanted to, but I didn't, because I like the GTI. Look how many people in these forums come from BMW's, Lexus, Mercedes, etc, they just love the GTI. Was looking at a Mercedes C350 or something on display at the mall today, and I thought it looked nice. I thought for a split second, maybe I should have bought one of those, it looks pretty comfortable, has nice lines, etc, but then I snapped back and realized there was no way I wanted to give up my GTI, it has a personality that car will just never have, and a community that it will never match either.

Halvie

WOOSA
idk i havent gotten any laughs. most of the time i turn my head and see people staring at it. im not out to race so it doesnt matter what a camero or stang owner things of me.

car full of what I assume were high school kids laughing loudly and pointing at it two days ago at a stop light. Still haven't gotten a random compliment on it. Just from other vw guys, or people at the shops I go to. I mean I don't really care, but it makes me a bit uncomfortable. Already sort of feel too old to have a car like this. That just sort of reinforces it.

exactly on the race thing. What is the point of racing on a 35mph public road...

iGTI1

Go Kart Champion
Your first mistake was caring what people think

BangMangler

Ready to race!
Alright,

I know Golfs aren't the most flashy cars ever, but this is getting boring....while my car isn't super fast, but it's too quick to be compared to some cars people compare mine to...

No one that sees my car or sits in it expects it to be any fast....people point at v6 Altimas and think they are faster than my car...or 4.6L mustangs...heck or even a v6 maxima....today a friend wondered if i *hold* with a GMC sierra...

Now, i don't like too much attention on the road, i like surprising people, but sometimes i feel like people think that i drive a BS slow car...like a nissan versa, a honda fit or a base model mini cooper..

Not that i bought my car to impress people, but let's be real here, it still matters.

Who else is starting to get tired of this whole situation?

How do you deal with it? defend or just go with whatever people say..?

Those people probably don't know cars at all.

Reminds me of a 3rd gen Mitsubishi Eclipse that I saw yesterday. Huge rear spoiler, 8-inch coffee can exhaust that doesn't even line up with the exhaust notch on the rear bumper and those lame mirror tails. Sorry, crappy cell phone quality.

When you drive a slow car I guess you need to compensate to trick your mind into thinking it's faster. They dream of turning their car into something like this...

The problem is that there are car enthusiasts and then there are idiots.

Jacuzzi

Ready to race!
I like to think I would behave differently if I was driving a GT3-RS 4.0 or a 458 Italia, but the reality is I would be just as eager to shitkick as ever...except it would sound cooler and 4th gear would be at 150 mph.

Just don't let it bother you so much, who cares. Just think of all the people buying Subaru BRZ's lol

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
I LOVE being underestimated. It always feels good when a douche bag gets pacified by a K04 GTI.

GTAye1

Ready to race!
I don't think there's many cars less than 30k that can go 0-60 in less than 6 seconds and fit a 60 inch LCD TV at the back.