GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why do people put aftermarket wheels on?

bernardryan

Ready to race!
I wish I can change my rims and not be bogged down with warranty issues if something arises. VW in my country is a real PITA.

I would love to change my Detroits to a 17inch for more comfort and better response all round. But I do agree, the Detroits do look good, just not the best looking for the car...

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
Not going to lie, OP has been causing havoc w/ his commentary ever since he jumped onto the forum.... This thread is almost as bad as the "turn your blower up all the way to heat up your car faster" thread.

ricdiablo1

Ready to race!
Hell I bought my car mostly because of the Detroits. No other thing on my car gets complements from complete strangers, sept for them rims
Everyday

I for one totally agree with OP. What were we THINKING paying extra for something so unnecessarily fun. THIS is all the car anyone really needs. And look at those stock 15's, steel and hubcaps MMMmm.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
why did i read 4 pages of this..

Need to evaluate life now

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Not going to lie, OP has been causing havoc w/ his commentary ever since he jumped onto the forum.... This thread is almost as bad as the "turn your blower up all the way to heat up your car faster" thread.

didn't even recognize its the same MOFO.

spagett!

Go Kart Champion
I was one of those who loved my Detroits and would have defended them to the death. The thing is, because their styling is so bold, it really takes over the whole car, which is otherwise pretty understated. So if you love them, that's great, but even then it can get old, which it did for me. So I got some new wheels. There really is nothing that can change the look of the whole car like wheels, this side of a new paint color.

Also, I got a lot of compliments on them as well. But almost every person who complimented referred to them as "rims", not "wheels". Sometimes it matters who the praise is coming from...

DASVDUB

Drag Racing Champion
people roll with the stock wheels for three obvious reasons:
1. They have a nice set they run when weather is nicer.
2. They could care less what the car looks like on the outside.
3. They are saving up for a nicer set of aftermarket wheels.

I'm guessing you are #2

Perhaps you should have bought a Prius instead.

#3 all the way!! Can't wait for summer to work and get new wheels!!!

Rascal

Ready to race!
Wow! 40 whole pounds? Just go on a freaking diet...

The wheels are unsprung weight. You may want to research before you comment.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_mass

I have aftermarket wheels because...

1) You guessed it....less weight.
2) The "cheese slicer" detroits, in my subjective opinion, look awful. They just look gimicky to me, and they weren't on my car 12 hours before I pulled them off.
3) My VMR's just look good to me, and I am on stock height.

Edit: not sure why I responded to this [facepalm]

Rascal

Ready to race!

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Because you guys (like all guys on car forums) like drama and acting superior.

Some of us just like to learn and share facts... an attitude which apparently escapes the likes of you.

There is almost zero downside to getting a set of relatively lightweight 17" wheels and better tires on a GTI and throwing the shiny scratch-free detroits with full tread OEM tires in the basement until sale/trade time. You gain a ton of performance for almost no money in the long term.

2lazy4agoodname

Ready to race!
I've had huffs, vmr v710s, and klutch sl14's, and I am now on Detroits for winter and I honestly like them the best. They have the worst offset, and are wimpy and narrow, but there is something about them that i love. They just fit this car. Gti's just look so damn good while tucking cheese wheels.

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
Because you guys (like all guys on car forums) like drama and acting superior.

I think he's going for the Howard Stern technique.... Say something rude/obnoxious/ridiculous and get tons of attention. I'm done looking at this post