GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Horn doesn't work

Yayotas

Ready to race!
Hey guys what could it be. My horn works when my car locks however if I'm driving and I need to beep the horn it dose t work I hear clicking and making contact but no sound comes out.

Sent from my pigeon using TapStalk

johnboyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Not that this completely answers your question, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I think the alarm siren (passenger wheel well) and horn (behind bumper cover) work independently. If I had to guess your horns are bad, or you have some other electrical problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yayotas

Ready to race!
That's what I thought when it came to the locking horn. Hmmm I might have to take it to the stealership

johnboyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I think I read that there is a recall on the clock spring behind the steering wheel. I also read where failing horns are a common problem.

Here's what I would do...FYI the key needs to be on for this test.

1) Check the fuse.

2) If the fuse is good, see if you hear a slight click when you press the horn. If you do, it would mean the horn relay is good and is getting power.

3) If the realy is good, then I would check to see if you have power at the horns when you press the horn button. Be sure to check both wires as I do not know which is + and which is -.

4) If you have power at the horn, then it would point to the horns being bad. They can be tested easily by running a jumper wire from the + side battery to the horn and a short jumper to ground. Make note which wire had power so you know which terminal is + and which is - on the horn.

5) If you do not hear the relay click, confirmed that the fuse and horns are good, then it would point to the clock spring.

I also found an article on horn troubleshooting.

http://www.fixmyvw.com/vw-horn-ultimate-troubleshooting-guide/

Yayotas

Ready to race!
I think I read that there is a recall on the clock spring behind the steering wheel. I also read where failing horns are a common problem.

Here's what I would do...FYI the key needs to be on for this test.

1) Check the fuse.

2) If the fuse is good, see if you hear a slight click when you press the horn. If you do, it would mean the horn relay is good and is getting power.

3) If the realy is good, then I would check to see if you have power at the horns when you press the horn button. Be sure to check both wires as I do not know which is + and which is -.

4) If you have power at the horn, then it would point to the horns being bad. They can be tested easily by running a jumper wire from the + side battery to the horn and a short jumper to ground. Make note which wire had power so you know which terminal is + and which is - on the horn.

5) If you do not hear the relay click, confirmed that the fuse and horns are good, then it would point to the clock spring.

I also found an article on horn troubleshooting.

http://www.fixmyvw.com/vw-horn-ultimate-troubleshooting-guide/

Thank so much I will check. Cause it does click I can hear the noise. I'll try the next step

Yayotas

Ready to race!
This! clock spring.

I'll take it for them to take a look at it. It randomly started working again after a 90 degree weather day in Florida lol

johnboyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
The masses have spoken. Let us know what they find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yayotas

Ready to race!
No it works sometimes when the weather is humid. But sometimes it doesn't. I haven't had the chance to take it to the dealership yet to ask them about to recall.