GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP ME: Buying a Mk6

Dans GTI

Ready to race!
Which maintenance costs are your referring too? I'm averaging $120 a month for the 21 months I've owned the car. I imagine I didn't outline it clearly.

I've had to put on new rotors - $900
A carbon cleaning -$740
Replace battery -$130
DSG fluid flush $185

That's $1955 of the $2446 that is scheduled or required maintenance that I couldn't realistically avoid.

When I say $300 a month that breaks down into $120 for gas $80 for insurance and $100 for maintenance. That I what budget and save for my car in my monthly expenses. Which means I have some cash set aside when things happen to my car and they need fixing.

I get most of the work done that I don't trust myself to do at an auto spot where my dad rebuilt a classic car and has a good relationship with the mechanics. The carbon cleaning I had done at the dealer that has also tuned my car because I wasn't sure if the new version of the stage II tune would fix my misfire issues. It didn't. My car was averaging 23-24 mpg city during normal monthly driving. I'm now getting 30 after one full tank.

Also if anyone has any wheel tire reccomendarions (based on experience) I'm all ears. Though based on what I've read I should just buy the pontenza or pilot ss.
The cost to replace rotors and do a carbon cleaning, were both done at a dealer? Because that is very costly.

Are you looking for summer tires? Or grippy all seasons? PSS are awesome but they only last for like 15-20k miles.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Which maintenance costs are your referring too? I'm averaging $120 a month for the 21 months I've owned the car. I imagine I didn't outline it clearly.

I've had to put on new rotors - $900
A carbon cleaning -$740
Replace battery -$130
DSG fluid flush $185

That's $1955 of the $2446 that is scheduled or required maintenance that I couldn't realistically avoid.

When I say $300 a month that breaks down into $120 for gas $80 for insurance and $100 for maintenance. That I what budget and save for my car in my monthly expenses. Which means I have some cash set aside when things happen to my car and they need fixing.

I get most of the work done that I don't trust myself to do at an auto spot where my dad rebuilt a classic car and has a good relationship with the mechanics. The carbon cleaning I had done at the dealer that has also tuned my car because I wasn't sure if the new version of the stage II tune would fix my misfire issues. It didn't. My car was averaging 23-24 mpg city during normal monthly driving. I'm now getting 30 after one full tank.

Also if anyone has any wheel tire reccomendarions (based on experience) I'm all ears. Though based on what I've read I should just buy the pontenza or pilot ss.

Rotors for 900? did you get pads, SS lines, and fluid with that install price?

Ops

The cost to replace rotors and do a carbon cleaning, were both done at a dealer? Because that is very costly.

Are you looking for summer tires? Or grippy all seasons? PSS are awesome but they only last for like 15-20k miles.

Rotors for 900? did you get pads, SS lines, and fluid with that install price?

I agree the carb cleaning cost was high. I did in fact have it done at a dealership because that dealer is also the APR tuner who tuned my car. I was initially hoping that the updated tune would fix my issues but it did not and so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the clean since I had been avoiding it for about 4 months. I did shop around and was quoted $450 + tax at another shop.

For the rotors I wasn't clear on what I paid for so breaking down my receipt (I'm rounding to the nearest dollar):

Front High carbon rotor x2: $124 ea. = $248
Set of pads $119
Labor $100 to pull the old rotors and replace them.

Rear High carbon rotor x2 $81 ea = $161
Pad set $86
Labor $100

Total for Brakes: $814

Brake fluid: $30
Labor: $60
Total: $90

Shop disposal fee: $30
Tax(7%): $60

Discounts: -$80 VIP
-$20 Coupon
Free 18 month warranty

Total Parts:$644
Total with labor: $904
Total with discount: $804
Total after taxes and fees: $900

Hope that either seems more reasonable to those of you who sometimes pay someone to work on your car. I know I'll never change the minds of anyone who turns their own wrenches though.

I' have no idea what direction I'm going to go with my tires. Currently have the stock P Zero Neros on the car. I'm torn between keeping an all-season/all weather tire or going with summer tires. It mostly hinges on the fact that I'm not sure where I'll be living in the next six months. This really only stems from the fact that I don't care for the aesthetics of the detroits.