VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum -

Go Back   VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - > Volkswagen GTI / Golf Topics > GTI & Golf MKVI General Discussions

Old 02-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #1
Drives: 2013 GOLF 2.5
Total car need work. Where to begin?

I just recently bought a 2013 2.5 golf, rebuild title. It was in an accident and fixed, but half assed. I brought the car to VW dealer to quote me what parts I would need and it comes out to about 5k. The parts include: subframe, radiator support, control arm, oil pan wheel well and skid plate. There was no noticeable frame damaged. The sub frame was impacted and one of bolt where control arm connects to the subframe was broken off.

All of those parts listed I can buy under $2k new. I have previously worked on American cars but this my 1st German car.

Planning on replacing the subframe base or whole subframe and the control arms too. Would the engine be in my way replacing the subframe ( like engine mounts) and how would I align the subframe? I noticed they have a tool to align the frame but I can't find it for my car.

Other things I'm going to replace are radiator support/ radiator which I'm going to take the whole front of the apart.

Last thing I need replace one seat belt tensioner and seatbelt. I'm debating on doing that or giving it to a shop because the airbag might go off.

If you have prior knowledge on doing these repairs on your Golf, please share your experience.

Nick113943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
Rally Car Champion
Drives: 2013 GTI
The subframe on these cars is easy. The pendulum mount connects the subframe to the transmission but the trans is still supported by the transmission mounts so you don't really need to support the trans when removing it (you could for piece of mind). The only other things attached to the subframe are the steering rack and sway bar which are easily reattached.

I would consider purchasing the tyrol dead set collar kit as the brass collars basically align the subframe for you and prevent any "shifting" of the subframe that could cause alignment issues down the road. No special tools really needed.
Check out my build thread here -> Build Thread

zef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
FIA GT Champion
Drives: 2012 GTI DSG / K04
be sure to keep in mind, i think a lot of work when it comes to trying to get a rebuild car titled must be done at an approved location. From there it must be taken through state inspection and such.. i'd start there.

I got my car with a 'rebuilt' title but when I brought it into illinois from indiana it was flagged as salvage when I was trying to get plates. It was a pain but 3 months later i went through inspection and got plates.
buildie buildie..
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:17 PM   #4
Drives: 2013 GOLF 2.5
I'm hitting a road block. Looking to buy a subframe but I can't find the correct part number. I searched on VW part website by my VIN # and got part number 1K0-199-313-F. I'm searching for a cheaper (used or non-VW branded one) and found 1ko-199-369 as a replacement part. Some websites are showing that part number as compatible with my car, and some showing as not. I'm trying to figure out which will be correct replacement.
Nick113943 is offline   Reply With Quote