GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR stage 2 vs. Camaro

maisonvi

Ready to race!
ThatS why I have a vw and not an ms3. Boost in all gears. Why don't you tune that crap out and put power down?

Haha unsubscribed and I still see your stupid post in the new posts.

I have them tuned that way because when you have a big turbo and E85 its hard to utilize 400whp in gears 1,2 and 3.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
8/10 would read again.

Y'all are funny.

Sspcivic31

Drag Race Newbie
Haha unsubscribed and I still see your stupid post in the new posts.

I have them tuned that way because when you have a big turbo and E85 its hard to utilize 400whp in gears 1,2 and 3.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Haha your welcome. :)

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
Just to stir the pot.. I have a Camaro SS (2011) if a stage 2 wants to get it on video in the Long Beach area.

cotnballs2000

No I'm not confusing et and mph. I am unsuccefully trying to explain how a car that only goes 100mph is not quicker than a car that goes 102 from a roll or otherwise. Or insert some similar disporportiante ratio. I completely understand how time(et) is divorced from mph in the 1/4 mile.
The latter part of your post I disagree with because the mph in the 1/4 basically eliminates your point.

If you just compare trap speed alone that is enough to tell you which of the two is the more powerful(let's call it faster from a roll) car.

The power and weight of a car are basically fixed or unchanging in a 1/4 mile pass. The distance is also basically unchanged(massive wheelspin changes this). This means that a 3290lb car that makes 366hp ( these are rough numbers from my ko4 gti power weight spreadsheet) is gonna pretty much every time, trap about 112ish mph at the end of the quarter. The elapsed time can be way skewed either direction but the mph is gonna be really close. To me this means the et is just showing how effiecntly you are using the 366 HP.

So as an example two cars trap 112mph one does it in 12.50 the other in 13.00. Both those cars have identical p/w ratios. Which could mean they both make the same HP and weigh the same,or one is lighter and makes less hp, or one is heavier and makes more HP. Doesn't matter.
From a roll they would be door to door barring any lateness on the drivers part from the hit.
Mph is measured in a 1/4 mile pass. Its averaged over the last 60 or 66 ft of the track. the mph is not derived implicitly from et over the distance which is what I think many people in here seem to believe.
Now back to the 100 vs 102mph trapping cars. The car going 102;is either the same weight and makesbeoughly 20 morenhp or is about 200lbs lighter than the car going 100.

With mph you can also derive weight or HP as long as you have one or the other variables.

Apples to apples I agree with you, a lighter car can trap a lower MPH with a quicker ET. The first one to cross the finish line (the lower ET) wins. MPH compared to weight is a indicator of horsepower not how fast a car is in a race, ET is the indicator of how "fast" it is. 100lbs = 10hp in power to weight ratio. Even from a roll a car with a lower ET will beat a car with a higher trap speed, hp to weight ratio wins. Unless you are racing two cars identical the trap speed of the car in the 1/4 mile doesn't mean any thing but ET will no matter what.

Sspcivic31

Drag Race Newbie
Apples to apples I agree with you, a lighter car can trap a lower MPH with a quicker ET. The first one to cross the finish line (the lower ET) wins. MPH compared to weight is a indicator of horsepower not how fast a car is in a race, ET is the indicator of how "fast" it is. 100lbs = 10hp in power to weight ratio. Even from a roll a car with a lower ET will beat a car with a higher trap speed, hp to weight ratio wins. Unless you are racing two cars identical the trap speed of the car in the 1/4 mile doesn't mean any thing but ET will no matter what.

I agree that the premise behind a 1/4 mile run is to determine which vehicle travels the distance in the shortest time.
What I don't get is why the the mph seems to be so difficult to get. It is a very useful performance metric. Look change it from mph to feet per second. 1 mph is equal to 1.466 feet per second.
100mph is 146.667 feet per second. 102 mph is 149.60 feet per second.
So what does that mean?
Well it means that if we continued at that same rate(no change in acceleration)at the end of the 1/4 mile that the car going 102mph is going to pull away 2.933feet every second they continue at that rate.
So now tell me why mph means nothing?
If it means nothing why is your stage 3 gti faster than my ko4 gti or a stock one for that matter? Cause it makes more HP (torque technically, but since hp isj ust torque over time we can cheat and call it hp)which is directly connected to the mph at the end of the 1/4. Regardless of the time it takes to get there.
Technically we could pick any distance. Its just that the 1/4 mile has been a performance benchmark for so long constants have been derived to explain this sort of thing.

mileman402

Just to stir the pot.. I have a Camaro SS (2011) if a stage 2 wants to get it on video in the Long Beach area.

I have a '10 SS with full exhaust, intake, and cam (458whp/429wtq) if anyone wants to do pulls in the Central, PA area.

I'm interested since I think my B5S4 will be replaced by a mk6/7 in the next few months.

jaycheetwood

Go Kart Champion
I have a '10 SS with full exhaust, intake, and cam (458whp/429wtq) if anyone wants to do pulls in the Central, PA area.

I'm interested since I think my B5S4 will be replaced by a mk6/7 in the next few months.

I wouldnt mind those numbers at all. damn.