GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil Drain Plug 2.0

danbike

Passed Driver's Ed
When I changed the oil, I had a new metal crush washer. In order to remove the old one, I had a bit of work, but got it off and used the new one. The new type is meant to be replaced each time. Anyone else using the replaceable type?

zeonic

mmm.... beer
i replace mine every oil change. you can reuse the drain plug and simply cut off the washer or you can buy a new drain plug at your auto parts store. i used to have a magnetic one back in the day. will prolly buy another one shortly.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Back in '83 my wife's Honda Accord and then later '92 I bought my wife and son Honda Civics and they all used the metal crush washer that you replaced at each oil change. I still have a bag of them in my tool box.

pvivino

Ready to race!
I know your supposed to change these every time - but I usually re-use them a few times before changing them and have never had a problem. Anyone else re-use them without a problem? or has anyone had leaks by doing this?

Mk6golfer

Ready to race!
I know your supposed to change these every time - but I usually re-use them a few times before changing them and have never had a problem. Anyone else re-use them without a problem? or has anyone had leaks by doing this?

You wont start to notice any leaking until you've reused the washer several times. Its fine to reuse once, but I'd replace it after that. They are very cheap and you want to avoid overtightening the drain plug.