GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock clutch eith new apr stage 1 file

kbrett11

Ready to race!
I'm currently on my stock clutch and currently have APR's stage 1 (low torque) tune but I want to get APR's new stage 1 (high output) upgrade. I'm just worried about clutch slippage. What do you guys think?

Midknight1

Ready to race!
You'll need a new one...just depends on when, could be right away, or a while down the road (stock cars will eventually need a new clutch too). I would go ahead and if you notice slippage, run the low torque file, or stock mode, until you can get a new clutch

Last edited:

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Blah! That's a bummer. I have a downpipe coming next week and so badly want to flash stage 2. My clutch was brand new on the car at 37K miles and I'm currently at 75K. I'm tempted to just run southbend stage 3 disc until I need to replace the clutch at @140K

Midknight1

Ready to race!
I'm stage 2 with the stock clutch and not slipping yet..really depends. You could have one that holds for a bit, but I've even heard of people flashing to stage 1 and slipping soon after...I've been stage 2 for about 2 weeks now and was stage 1 for about 2 years before that. You don't need to install a new clutch before flashing though, you just run the risk of it slipping...I think some K04 people are running their stock clutches still so take that for what it's worth

kbrett11

Ready to race!
I haven't slipped at all on stage 1 and I run her hard. The car is my daily and I don't have the money or the time to replace the clutch if/when it goes. I'd rather prepare for the next upgrades and have the vehicle ready for it.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Blah! That's a bummer. I have a downpipe coming next week and so badly want to flash stage 2. My clutch was brand new on the car at 37K miles and I'm currently at 75K. I'm tempted to just run southbend stage 3 disc until I need to replace the clutch at @140K

I doubt the SB S3 clutch will last that long. Once they get hot and slip it's all over - they'll slip at stock power levels. Plus they tear up the flywheel so you're guaranteed to need a FW once it's done. With the stock organic disk you may not need a new FW, even at 75k.

I haven't slipped at all on stage 1 and I run her hard. The car is my daily and I don't have the money or the time to replace the clutch if/when it goes. I'd rather prepare for the next upgrades and have the vehicle ready for it.

Save for a while and tune when you have the $$$ for a clutch. Buy the tune and wait for that stocker to slip. Replace clutch.

I didn't wait. My clutch started slipping about 3k miles after the stage 1 flash and I had to wait about ~12k miles without WOT (or in the stock mode) before I had the cash to do the clutch. It sucked.

That said, since I replaced my stock PP and disk with the RSR @45k miles I've gone stage 2 at 75k, k04 at 85k and am now at over 96k. This thing is a champ.

kbrett11

Ready to race!
Yeah I'll probably just wait and get the Sachs sre oem+ clutch kit with the dmfw. Those bitches are rated up to K04. I just plan on maxing out the stock turbo at full stage 2+ anyways

Midknight1

Ready to race!
I doubt the SB S3 clutch will last that long. Once they get hot and slip it's all over - they'll slip at stock power levels. Plus they tear up the flywheel so you're guaranteed to need a FW once it's done. With the stock organic disk you may not need a new FW, even at 75k.

Save for a while and tune when you have the $$$ for a clutch. Buy the tune and wait for that stocker to slip. Replace clutch.

I didn't wait. My clutch started slipping about 3k miles after the stage 1 flash and I had to wait about ~12k miles without WOT (or in the stock mode) before I had the cash to do the clutch. It sucked.

That said, since I replaced my stock PP and disk with the RSR @45k miles I've gone stage 2 at 75k, k04 at 85k and am now at over 96k. This thing is a champ.

+1 for RSR. That's what I'll be getting once slippage happens

Sent from the future